No announcement yet.

Almost sunk it today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, I am just glad it happened now and not next month on the flats.

Oh and I ordered and bilg pump this afternoon.
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Glad you are ok Jim! That stuff looks like the mighty putty they used to sell on TV! I bought some one time at a craft store and it is great stuff!

Question out of curiosity, would Hobie cover something like that?
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Jim -

I'm glad you stayed safe and could repair the damage easily. I have had hair-line cracks around the scupper hole tubes in my previous Manta Ray and a pencil-diameter hole in the keel of the my Ocean Kayak Drifter. I successfully repaired both using Goop. You need to allow at least 12 hours for the Goop to cure and harden, but it does hold well. Please report back in a few months to let us know how the putty holds up.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

if you have access, i would coat the inside area with goop, silicone, or personally, foundation coating just for insurance
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
            Glad you are ok Jim! That stuff looks like the mighty putty they used to sell on TV! I bought some one time at a craft store and it is great stuff!

Question out of curiosity, would Hobie cover something like that?
            This is a replacement hull from Hobie after my old one developed a crack around the seat post hole. I don't think they will do it again. The fix should hold so I am not really worried about it. Plus when I win the Outback at the Jamboree next month I will be all set.
            Jim

Hobie Outback
            TKAA member

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
              if you have access, i would coat the inside area with goop, silicone, or personally, foundation coating just for insurance
              I am going to try and get in there and put Goop on it. It is right between the rear and center hatch so kind of a bitch to reach.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
                I will make sure I check the kayak, rudder cables, and mirage drive cables for any abnormalities few days before I load the kayak
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                  I am going to try and get in there and put Goop on it. It is right between the rear and center hatch so kind of a bitch to reach.
                  FYI - Goop is about $5/tube at Home Depot. It is considerably more at marine stores. I have used regular Goop, marine Goop, and at least one of the other varieties. They all smell the same and seem to perform the same.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have read that the only difference between marine and regular goop is a UV additive
                    sigpic

Comment

OK Jim,
                      Here is what you missed due to the leak:
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        FYI - Goop is about $5/tube at Home Depot. It is considerably more at marine stores. I have used regular Goop, marine Goop, and at least one of the other varieties. They all smell the same and seem to perform the same.
                        Oh I hear ya. The only time I have bought it at West Marine was when I had a $10 gift card that was about to expire and didn't really need anything.

I first used Goop about 7 or 8 years ago on my F-250 to seal the roof drip rails. They are still leak free and the Goop is still fairly clear. GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!
                        Jim

Hobie Outback
                        TKAA member

Comment

I too would recommend you overcome that "bitch to reach" and apply a seal from the inside (use some kind of extended applicator).
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

[QUOTE=ComeOnFish;53420]OK Jim,
                            Here is what you missed due to the leak:

Thanks Joe, I thought I was going to have a good day. I had a 22" Blue cat in the boat with in a few minutes of having my lines in the water and 2 other pull downs before getting back to the dock.
                            Jim

Hobie Outback
                            TKAA member

Comment

glad your ok Jim

Comment

This is a replacement hull from Hobie after my old one developed a crack around the seat post hole. I don't think they will do it again. The fix should hold so I am not really worried about it. Plus when I win the Outback at the Jamboree next month I will be all set.
                                That's MY Outback...Back off!

Comment

Working...
                                X