Centennial Lake 3/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centennial Lake 3/13

Headed out to Centennial Lake this morning to get my fix and troubleshoot my depth finder. I launched around 8am after purchasing a daily permit costing $5. A few bank fisherman arrived the same time targeting trout that were released from an early stocking. One trout was caught with a bobber and minnow and that was the extent of the shore bite.

Water clarity was terrible, I would have to say a foot...and that's stretching it due to the recent rain. Water temperature was fluctuating around 46-48 degrees. The deepest point of the lake reached depths of 25ft with plenty of shallows and coves. I decided to troll for some lethargic bass in deep waters and drop offs since it's still too cold for them to scope out their spawning locations. Trolling two rods, one with a chartreuse rapala medium (7-8ft) diving crankbait and the other...a deep diving (16+) pearl shad. My first pass was successful, landing a 17" Largemouth on the chartreuse crankbait in 15ft of water. It was a nice bass, unfortunately no pictures....he did not have much fight in him. After two more passes and a few hours, no success.

Around 10am, Followme438 joined me on the water. We introduced ourselves and talked the talk with his new Jackson Cuda. We farted around in the deeper end of the lake with no success. The winds started to kick up, so we decided to make a protected cove our new home. We fished for another few hours. Zach snagged two lures out of the water (impressive) and I managed to get bird nests in both my baitcasters with light tackle. I managed to catch a 9" crappie on a bobber and shad dart tipped with night crawler. I also missed a strike on a 2.5" gulp minnow on the same rig.

The showers started so we called it a day. On the west side of the lake is an island and few buildings on concrete pillions overlooking the water. The water is considerably more shallow, but looks like a great pitching spot in the summer. Despite the claims of extreme pressure on the lake, I will definitely fish Centennial again once the bass are more active. Last week a 2lb crappie was caught and almost broke the Maryland record...a true story since two bank fishermen from two different locations told me during friendly chats. It was great meeting Followme438, hopefully he can make a few meet and greets.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Thanks Jeremy!

The trip was great and it was nice to actually fish with someone this time. I second everything that has been said. The water clarity was better today than yesterday though. I will admit to being more concerned with operating the kayak (second trip ever) than fishing, but its always great to get a line in the water. Hopefully, as the water warms up, Centennial will be producing better.
    2013 Jackson Kayak Cuda 12 "Penny"

Comment

Looks like you guys had a decent outing out of it. If you guys are headed there on a weekend day let me know and maybe I can catch up with you since it near me.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

question! you had a bobber rig with a nightcrawler at the end? same with a gulp alive? woud slow retrieve that? or let it set? thanks!

Comment

I caught the crappie in 8 ft of water and I had a 3ft leader between the bobber and the shad dart. With the night crawler I would slow retrieve about 3ft and let it rest. The dart was only a 1/32 so I wanted to make sure the bait would sink to the bottom. Then I would repeat, I wasn't expecting to catch anything with the water being so cloudy. The crappie hit with the bobber steady sinking... no tapping of the bait.

The gulp minnow I would cast and rest, then shake the rod tip a few times to get some action on the split tail. I rigged the minnow so it would present horizontally. Almost like a miniature drop shot with a trick worm. If nothing it within 30 seconds of working the bait, I would relocate. Next time I will use a jig head with a larger hook because the head of the gulp minnow used the majority of the hook except the barb...I was afraid of setting the hook too hard.

I saw a Jimmy Houston episode which he used a bobber and a road runner, with a slow retrieve then stop just to get the spinner activated. I would love to try again when the water clears with live minnows.....that's only the second crappie I caught!
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Approximately 2-3 casts off shore, running parallel with the dam are a series of submerged trees or brush in fairly deep water. I used to fish this stretch with good success during the school spring break with a bass boat and trolling motor...i havent yaked it yet but plan to very soon. Small grub jigs, gulp will work.
            Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
              Approximately 2-3 casts off shore, running parallel with the dam are a series of submerged trees or brush in fairly deep water. I used to fish this stretch with good success during the school spring break with a bass boat and trolling motor...i havent yaked it yet but plan to very soon. Small grub jigs, gulp will work.
              When I was trolling that area, I saw something on my FF that looked like a school of fish a few feet off the floor around 20ft of water. I was going to jig it with a silver buddy, but blew it off. This was before I realized crappie were around. I still have some perch rigs made up from the susky...they would have been perfect. I think it's a blast catching panfish.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

I think you did well to get a nice sized Bass and Crappie. I've made 3-4 trips (one in a rented canoe and the rest from shore) to that lake and have caught one fish, a pumpkin seed sunfish. Maybe I should give it another try.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                X