Mattawoman Creek Sunday morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Creek Sunday morning

The weatherman really blew the forecast today- should have gone, but didn't- Headed to the creek in the a.m. for some scouting around- probably take some bait for blue cats, but I want to map out the creek with the Elite 5 DSI and really see what's down under the boat- not like I haven't fished the creek before, I fish it quite a bit, but with the new gear I get a different view- should be able to find some "honey holes." I know DNR got a bunch of yellow perch in their nets last week, but I'm really not into perch fishing...wouldn't mind hooking up a big catfish or a few nice LM bass, but the crappie are there too- sweet meat, great tasting fish-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Mattawoman is on the very top of my wish list. All my favorite species and great cover and vegetation. I watched some MKF videos and the top water action looks like a blast.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Would be right out there with you but I'm booked up with Walleye Pete tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how you do because I might be interested in fishing there next weekend.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Come on and fish it- I plan on being there around 8:30- 9:00 a.m. in the morning-high tide is 12:30 p.m. so all morning will be a rising tide
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-17-2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Come on and fish it- I plan on being there around 8:30- 9:00 a.m. in the morning-
          I am actually fishing Mariner Point Park tomorrow for crappie. I hope the offer stands for another time
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

Sadly I had to work this weekend.....hit 'em hard Ron.
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
              I am actually fishing Mariner Point Park tomorrow for crappie. I hope the offer stands for another time
              Absolutely Sparky- the neat thing about MKF is the members- great bunch of people on this forum- I have enjoyed fishing with every single member who has joined up with me- hasn't been a dud in the bunch!

Comment

For some reason everything just fell apart today- loaded the yak in my truck- forgot the Mirage Drive, had to turn around and go home to get it- No minnows because Fred's doesn't open on Sunday morning until 10 a.m. What kind of a sporting goods, bait and tackle shop opens that late on the weekend? What's the point of going at 10 a.m.? Any way finally get back to the launch and it is almost 10 anyway....gurrrrr...launch and head up the creek- notice the water is pretty stained and very high tide- 21 feet of 48.2 degree water in the channel- nice marking lots of fish- all 10 feet deep or deeper... thanks Pinch for the advice on setting my Elite 5 DSI- I start mapping the creek- the sonar on full screen, colors blue and green- got up to the steel sheet wall about a half mile above the sunken barges and it starts drizzling rain and it gets colder- by the time I get to the top of the creek it is raining ice cold rain- damn weatherman missed the forecast again! By the time I get to the launch I am soaked and freezing- what a day!

Comment

Wow! Hope you are still in one piece....if it makes you feel any better, I got the big skunk today.
                  2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                  2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

I am fine now- same story here although I really didn't have much chance to soak any bait

Comment

Sorry things did not go smoother today... I will start dating Mattawoman again starting in April.
                      Mike S.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Mike- it was all me- I did some dumb things today- left my drive at home- basic stuff like that you don't do- did not get bait last night, thinking I could gets some fresh, first thing this morning- nada- a comedy of errors on my part- I did get some pretty decent scouting done today and found some interesting things- several holes with lots of fish- all the fish I saw were found around 10 feet deep- water temps were surprisingly high- 48.2- 48.7 degrees- exceptionally high tide today- the sunken barges were completely covered by water across from the creek junction- I did not take my dry top- left it in the truck as it was only cloudy this am- two hours later it was raining hard and the temp was 40 degrees- It took me about thirty minutes of hard peddling to get back to the ramp- I averaged 3.6 mph all the way back- It took all afternoon and a hot bath to get the chill off-
                        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-17-2013, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X