03/16/2013 Fishing the Jub Bay on the Patuxent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03/16/2013 Fishing the Jub Bay on the Patuxent

Mustaffa wanted to go fishing today, possibly for yellow perch. Jimmy (Rockchaser) decided to join us. The weather was predicted to be cold (44 degrees) and rainy all day with passing showers. We dressed appropriately for the 70% chance of rain, but it was not necessary. The weathermen blew the forecast. There was no rain the whole day. We actually had blue skies to partly cloudy skies. Temperatures reached 58 degrees by 2pm. In the morning the temperature was in the 40's with light winds, slowly climbing to 9 mph during the late morning.

We met at the Murray's off of Rt4, exit 11A off of the beltway at 7:30am. We headed to Jug Bay in search of pullage. We were armed with minnows and worms. High tide at Jug Bay was at 8am. We would fish the outgoing tide. When we launched around 8:30am, it was slack tide. We peddled north up the creek to the Western Branch. We marked a lot of fish on the way there and at the Western Branch, but they seemed to have locked haw. I had landed a small channel catfish on the way up. I did not have much luck with the minnows. All of my bites came from the worms on a top and bottom rig and also a fish finder rig. We anchored up around the western branch, and just cast into the deep hole of 30 feet. We all caught a few kitty kats. Both Mustaffa and myself caught a double header of catfish. The current started moving slowly towards the south. We fished along the way back to the ramp. We caught several more fish at different deep spots along the way.

By the end of the morning, I caught 1 yellow perch, one white perch, one 23 inch blue catfish and 8 small channel cats. Everyone caught small channel cats. I think Mustaffa caught a small blue cat and Rockchaser caught a small yellow, and two white perch. It was a beautiful day, with a slight chill that was delivered everytime that the wind would pick up. This was definitely a better day than what was predicted.

The title should say Jug Bay, not Jub.... but who cares... I am still tired...
    Attached Files

Nice going guys! That's a good mix of species. I, too, was happy to see the weather turn out so nice.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Great time as always with Rockchaser and MOC. MOC did an thorough write-up so I'll just provide the pic of the double header. That was the only thing I took a picture of... the rest of my catches were more of the same little channel cats (with the one blue).

-Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I'm glad the weather held out for you. Way to go guys.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
          Great time as always with Rockchaser and MOC. MOC did an thorough write-up so I'll just provide the pic of the double header. That was the only thing I took a picture of... the rest of my catches were more of the same little channel cats (with the one blue).

FYI: Some of those "Little Channels" Are actually White Catfish looking through your photos. They are a bullhead relative. Also the only native catfish species to this area. Good catches.

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
            FYI: Some of those "Little Channels" Are actually White Catfish looking through your photos. They are a bullhead relative. Also the only native catfish species to this area. Good catches.

Meadeo
            very interesting! Always nice to learn new things about the species in the area...Thanks!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Looks like a good time had by all.
              2012 Hobie Revo 13'
              2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Working...
              X