03/17/2013 Potomac River Blue Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    with rising water temps (48-49 degrees this weekend) we are on the brink of a "fishing outbreak" every where- once we hit the magic 50 degrees, the bite turns on and fish become more active- the amount of available daylight seems to be a trigger as much or more than water temps- big cow LM bass are in their pre-spawn mode- snakeheads were surfacing yesterday at Mattawoman Creek- saw a couple swimming next to the boat-
    Excellent news Ron! I'll be at Mattawoman within the next month.

Comment

So were you guys anchored in 30 feet of water? Just curious how you stay stationary while bottom fishing. Or do you just drift with the bait? I have only bottom fished for catfish from shore. Curious how to do it from a kayak. Thanks!
      Green Old Town Loon 111
      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Nice works guys, I too would like to get out there for some good old fashioned bait soaking. That 30" cat looks like it swallowed a couple footballs or maybe a small child.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I always anchor to soak bait for catfish, especially in colder waters- they are sluggish and normally will not chase bait-stinkier the bait, the better they like it- strong cheese mixed in big cotton balls soaked in Menhaden oil works like a charm
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

OMG! They are nice. WTG Jim and Martin. One thing I learned from catching blue cats with moc last year is that those cats are tasty.

At Jones Park, did you guys launched off the barge on the north or south side of the bridge?
            Last edited by tufnik; 03-18-2013, 11:50 AM.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

They had a floating dock on the Virginia side directly under the bridge. We fished in 30 feet of water, but we did not anchor up. We fished near the pilings so you could actualy hold onto the pilings to remain fairly stationary. Also the drift was slow for that day. Rockchaser told me that he has anchored in the past in shallower water and then toss his line into the 25 to 30 feet of water.

Comment

Nice fat cats guys, WTG.
                2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

I have been having good luck at the bridge lately. The first 2 pilings are surounded by very large walls that are good for hiding from the wind and current. You can anchor but I normaly don't.

These were my 3 bigger fish last Sunday, I had several under 20" most in the 17" 18" range.

100_1158.jpg 100_1159.jpg 100_1160.jpg
                  Jim

Hobie Outback
                  TKAA member
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                  X