St. Patrick's Day at Allens Fresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Patrick's Day at Allens Fresh

Tried Allen's Fresh today for 2 hours before the rain chased me out. Caught nothing near the bridge but finally did started to pick up a few small white perch and one yellow upstream. I must have missed the yellow perch run because there were lots of yellow perch egg sacks up the creek.

Bad news for you, but hopefully good news for the fish. We need a good spawn this year, YP fishing was pretty off this winter.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thank for the report Yakfisher, I went on 3/4 with no fish to show for it. On 3/4 no yellow egg sacks up stream of the bridge. I was thinking about going to Allen fresh tomorrow but not sure now if the run is over

Comment

Yellows probably done whites in progress

Allens has done it again. The yellows managed to sneak past and do a less then spectacular spawn. There are eggs all the way upstream. The spawn seems to get weaker every year. The whites are doing thier spawn now I caught well over a hundered on Sat. I kept the largest 12. Has anybody else noted the decline of the yellow perch in allens over the last few years?
        Originally posted by fish on View Post
        Thank for the report Yakfisher, I went on 3/4 with no fish to show for it. On 3/4 no yellow egg sacks up stream of the bridge. I was thinking about going to Allen fresh tomorrow but not sure now if the run is over

Comment

Originally posted by master pungo View Post
          Has anybody else noted the decline of the yellow perch in allens over the last few years?
          I have noticed a downward trend, but can't really say for sure because I don't get to fish every single day down there. So I never can tell it is my bad timing or a decline in fish. But I do know it used to seem like a solid 5 day span of catching fish when the run was on. The last few years it is more like a day or two. I only caught one female this year, an 11 incher last saturday, and it had a tiny underdeveloped egg sack. So that didn't look good.
          Green Old Town Loon 111
          Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

I definitely used to have more luck there, but I haven't fished it as regularly as I did then. It seems like yellow perch aren't doing so well in a number of creeks and rivers. Yellow perch are like other anadromous fish and have greater reproductive success during wet springs. Last spring was pretty dry, IIRC, and we've had a number of dry springs since 2003. Like the song says, you can't get molasses if you ain't got no lasses... Anyway, I think yellow perch might not tolerate heavy fishing pressure as well as other species, but I'm not really sure why that would be.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
            X