3/24 Mattawoman Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/24 Mattawoman Creek

Headed out in a little while- don't think much of our chances to catch a lot, but it is fun to get out regardless of the catching- headed to Mattawoman creek to try out some new stuff picked up at BPS and soak some bait on my new Lexa 300 outfit to get some "pullage" from the cats in blue- I'll anchor up after locating the fish on my chart plotter- the deepest spot is right next to the launch, though- 200-300 feet from the dock is 22-24 feet of water in the channel and I always mark fish there- for some reason I just can't bring myself to anchor up and fish so close to the launch-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron,

Good luck today! Since I am a warm weather fisherman and still in "hibernation", please keep providing water temps updates at Mattawoman. As soon as the water temp hits 60 degrees, I am back on the water!

We all look forward to your report on how you did today and how your new equipment performed.

Dave
    WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

Ron, Kevin, and I hit the water at about 11:30, which seemed to be the tail end of the ebb. To say that fishing was slow today would be the understatement of the year. I had some new bass lures to try out, and I also wanted to find some crappie. I headed downstream first while Ron and Kevin anchored up for some cats. I was working some fallen trees with a variety of lures when I hooked up with this guy on a 3" firetiger PowerBait grub:

That was the last action I had for the day. We went upstream to the barge, and I continued to try different things without any luck. We headed back downstream. I still didn't have any more luck, but Kevin had a bit of excitement.

The water temperature was between 44 and 46 degrees where I fished. The wind forecast was off by 90 degrees, and the sun never came out. I've been looking through my photos from last year, and the difference is dramatic. On March 18th last year, Ron, Martin, Wayne, and I had a banner day, where I caught 3 different species of catfish, crappie, and bass, all of which were good sized fish. Despite the lousy fishing, it was good to catch up with Ron again, and fishing with Kevin is usually an adventure.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

A bad day on the water beats a great day at work! In spite of the cold and slow day, it was fun- all the mods on the boat work great- new battery has plenty of capacity, new rod/reel combo was fine- didn't catch any fish on it, but soaked cut menhaden all day - had one hit that should have hooked up on an Owner circle hook, but missed- Kevin caught a crappie- I had skunk on my boat today, but I enjoyed fishing with Bill and Kevin- next time we will go catching instead of "fishing."
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yes, I had a bit of excitement using my Ultra-light rod. Had 2 break offs....junk line i guess. Last fish was really strong, had pole bent to the max, then "SNAP"...LOL. Here is a few more pictures....Fun day even if unproductive. I caught one little crappie....good for one little taco this evening.
          My Micro crappie...never imagined it would be the only fish i'd catch today
          Bill getting re-rigged
          Ron soaking bait
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Sorry you guys didn't get more fish. Yeah, I remember that awesome day that you guys had last year. Spring was already here by then... This year, it's like winter won't give up. A couple more weeks and things will pick up I hope. Glad to see Mattawoman reports on the boards though.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
            X