Outfished by a heron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfished by a heron

I had not been on the Severn since the meet and greet. I needed some water time and launched my Mini-X in Weems Creek. I stop using live minnows after pickerel season ends (March 15). Today I had three rods rigged -- in-line spinner, small spinnerbait, 1/8-oz jighead with Gulp minnow grub. I cast to my usual Weems areas and trolled the same rods for several miles along other shorelines. In more than 2 hours, I did not get a single bite.

The water was calm today. I kept my eyes out for wakes made by fish swimming away from me or for splashing of minnows in the shallows. I saw absolutely no evidence of fish today, except for the 6" fish a heron pulled up 30 yards away from me. I guess that fish was more important to the heron's life than a catch and release fish would have been for mine.

Other than getting a skunk, the rest of the trip was great. The weather was pleasant, I got some good exercise, and I saw a fox, many herons, ducks, geese, a few ospreys, and a red-tailed hawk. The water level was much higher than normal today. This allowed me to paddle all the way to the head waters of Weems. I finally turned around as the small channel narrowed down as it passed under Rt 50 near Admiral Drive.

Typically the white perch return to the Severn creeks in about a month. I eagerly await their arrival.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

At Mattawoman, Bill and I witnessed something amazing with a heron. We saw a big Bald eagle swooping down on him. We were ready for a kill. Then we noticed what was really up, the heron had a big fish...he dropped it to defend himself and the eagle immediately changed direction and swooped the fish up. AWESOME!
    Growing up in Oregon I watched eagles rob from ospreys all the time...but I have never seen them bother a heron. Memory to log away.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I cant top the bald eagle story but I did witeness a pretty cool site last year. Floating down the Potomac late in the eve, not even fishing just letting the current take me, I saw a heron about 30 yards down from me. Usually they fly away at the site of a human coming anywhere close but he held his ground. As I got closer he kept eyeballing me and then turning and eyeballing something in the water. I was about 15ft from him when he speared about a 12" catfish and brought it up put of the water. He the quickly scampered up on the bank with the fish still speared on his bill. Maybe not the most impressive story but one of the coolest things Ive witnessed on the river.

Comment

We just need some warm weather, John
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          We just need some warm weather, John
          Ron -

I agree with you about the weather -- temp and wind.

I can catch fish consistently in the Severn (my home waters -- just 10-15 minutes from home) from May to mid-March, with different species moving in and out. However, I usually struggle there between mid-March and the end of April. I need to find another nearby source of pullage for those 6 weeks.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The Bay Bridge is spotty during this time as well- some days the fish are there and others they are not...and when they are there they bite only on a certain set of conditions- 30 minutes one way or the other and you miss out- you hit them right and it is a bonanza- big fish just about every cast- miss them and you have a long day of cold water fishing- and fresh water ain't much better- every species has its quirks and they like what they like, when they like it- wrong color today and zippo- no bites- hit it right and you are da man!
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Wow John! You were way up the creek if you were at Route 50!!!

Agree with you guys....we need some warm weather quick!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                Wow John! You were way up the creek if you were at Route 50!!!
                On all but high water days, the upper part of the creek is too shallow to paddle or pedal.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

many people have been outfished by 'the best fisherman around' don't feel bad.....

Comment

Working...
                  X