Occoquan Regional Park, Saturday 04/06/13, Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan Regional Park, Saturday 04/06/13, Trip Report

I arrived a little before 7:00 A.M. and Berto showed up minutes later. We unloaded, rigged up and were under way before 7:30.

We took a few tentative casts around the boat ramp at Occoquan (thinking that maybe some recent livewell drop off bass might be milling about) but quickly headed over to the shoreline that would get the full effect of the morning sun. Water color was stained brown. A white spinnerbait disappeared 24 inches down. Water temperature was 47 degrees. We had blue skies and a bit more of a breeze than expected out of the West (also not expected). I like Scoutlook Weather but I find wind predictions are about as good as my NCAA brackets.

Low tide was expected around 11:00 A.M. so we started off searching for a workable pattern on the outgoing tide. I tried a jerkbait, a lipless crankbait, a spinnerbait and I had a jig tied on. No easy bass on horizontal moving presentations so as an hour or so evaporated I decided it was time to get serious with the jig.

Strike King Hack Attack Jig, 3/8 ounce, with a "Potomac Blue" Baby Paca Craw Trailer. First bass of the day on a hard bottom with scattered rock in about 4 feet of water. Just outside of a small shallow area that could serve for spawning.

Shortly there after Berto catches a bigger bass on a football jig with a craw trailer that I believe had hint of chartreuse. Probably 35-40 feet from where bass # 1 was caught.

A little later, probably 40-50 yards from bass # 1 and # 2, same jig as I used before.

It's not 10:00 A.M. and we have 3 bass, all on jigs, and I'm thinking "here we go!", the day is looking very promising as the sun warms the water a few degrees.

We worked that area through low tide but no more bass. Headed up top to the headwater area to see what was going on up there. Some anglers were fishing for Hickory Shad and catching one here and there. We tried some presentations up there but it looked like better water for catching a striper than a greenie.

I headed back to where we had success. Water was up to 50 degrees, the tide was coming in, and now we had a breeze out of the east.

Nothing doing.

We fished until about 5:30 P.M. but could not scrape up another bass. This is where my limited experience on tidal water comes back to bite me. Either our bass made a dramatic move (unlikely), repositioned (probably) or the bite just shut down (your guess is as good as mine).

Ah well, great day to be alive and fishing non the less!

Thanks Berto!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Good job and thanks for the report.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Tidal bass are different than lake/stream bass- more like a salt water fish- they follow many of the same patterns as speckled trout, and stripers- and spring time fish are especially difficult to pattern because of the variables of the weather- warmer waters, especially during long stretches of sunny, dry days, makes it a lot easier to figure out the patterns and the times/tides that produce-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I like the second photo -- it looks like it should be part of a Maryland tourism brochure (Orioles hat, state flag buff). All it needs is a Ravens patch on the jacket.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I concur....gotta have one of those buffs
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

picked mine up in Florida fishing the ultra sunny flats- you will burn to a crisp without plenty of sun protection- hat, sun glasses, buff, long sleeve SPF 50 rated Columbia fishing shirt/pants- and still need to wear sun screen...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the report.

Comment

Thanks! The craw trailer I used was a Berkley Power Bait Chigger Craw (Watermelon Candy color)

And this Osprey out fished me.HA!
                Last edited by Berto; 04-07-2013, 01:46 PM.
                2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

nice report!
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                  X