Susquehanna smorgasbord- April 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna smorgasbord- April 8

I decided to combine two completely different fishing trips today when I visited the lower Susquehanna and the Flats. First, I began casting from the shoreline at three different spots on the lower Susquehanna. The water was moving pretty fast, and the initial fishing was fast too. On my third cast (using a new 6' light rod and reel I bought last week to replace one I dropped overboard from my kayak), I hooked up with an energetic hickory shad. On every cast for the next 15 minutes, I either felt a bump or hooked up with shad. When the hot bite ended, I had caught and released 11 shad, including 3 doubleheaders.

002.jpg 003.jpg 006.jpg

Then that pulse of fish must have moved away -- the bite stopped. I moved to a second location and caught two more, but the bite was not as fast as the first spot. I then moved to another location where a half dozen anglers were set up on the shoreline, plus two guy parked their boat at a popular creek mouth, disrupting the casting pattern for the rest of the anglers. After catching one shad there and tangling twice with other guys' lines, I left.

The next part of the fishing program was trolling on the Flats from my kayak. I launched from Tydings Marina about 9:45 to flat calm seas and warm weather. Once I reached 4 ft depth, I put out three medium spinning rods (one with a 6" Storm Shad, and the other two with 3/4-oz jighead and a 5" paddletail).

014.jpg 016.jpg

I paddled slowly around for more than 7 miles. Whenever I was in water less than 6 ft, I had trouble keeping the lures clean -- they tended to hit the bottom and pick up grass and other plants. I had short conversations with sparky1423 and Goody. I also met Wavy Davy on the water -- we spent about half of the trip fishing in the same general area.

Neither I nor the other kayakers I saw today had caught any rockfish at the time I spoke with then. But the trip was still successful for me. I ended up with 5 largemouth bass ranging from 16" to >20". The first one of the day was massive. It came unhooked at boatside so I was unable to get a photo. The largest two bass were my biggest ones ever.

010.jpg 011.jpg

Later I felt a strong strike and began to fight a large fish. I assumed it was a 25-30" rockfish, but when it finally got near the boat I saw brown color and no stripes. As it finally rolled at the surface, it proved to be a big fat carp of nearly 30". That fish was very strong and made numerous runs back and forth near the boat, including slapping the kayak hull with its tail. I eventually tired it out, lipped it, and removed the Storm Shad from its mouth while the fish remained in the water. In my relief to get it unhooked safely, I forgot to get a closeup photo of the carp. You can see it's outline in the water in the photo below (original image and digitally tweaked image).

012 - Copy.jpg 012A - Copy.jpg

Although I did not find any rockfish today, I still caught plenty of shad, got some hefty LMBs and a surprise carp that bit a 6" lure.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 04-08-2013, 07:45 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Glad to see some fish being caught!
    Yellow WS Ride 135
    Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Good job John, glad one of saw some action today. After we spoke I soaked a few paddle tails with no sucess
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks for the report John. At least you caught a few nice lmbass. I'm surprised at the scarcity of stripers so far this spring. Did you see if there was a pack of boats anywhere on the Flats? Even if they are out of range (like the southern boundary) they at least indicate where the stripers are holding at the moment.

I'm hoping to get up there maybe Wednesday, wind/weather permitting.
        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Good to see you out there getting some action.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Your pictures of the carp make it kind of look like a big old tailing redfish. Very nice report and glad you got into a nice variety of fish.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

nice job john, as you saw on that tidalfish post about that guy getting that big fish from shore, ill be on my pier everday thsi week. maybe i can get some big ones before opening day

Comment

Nice work on the LMB and other species John! The weather was awesome today, I'm headed to the flats this weekend so hopefully the Striper action heats up.
                Shane
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Howard,
                  I did not see many boats up there on Saturday, but I think they were south so I wouldn't have been able to see them. There were none on the western side. I did see two or three along the north eastern side but most of them were fishing LMB. I think I'll go up on Wed or Thursday myself. I was going to wait for Friday but it looks like rain.

The southern fishing isn't out of reach if you launch from Swan Creek. It's still an hour paddle, but I've done it several times. You do have to launch in isolation in the shadow of the bullet riddled car though....and the launch is very primitive.

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                  Thanks for the report John. At least you caught a few nice lmbass. I'm surprised at the scarcity of stripers so far this spring. Did you see if there was a pack of boats anywhere on the Flats? Even if they are out of range (like the southern boundary) they at least indicate where the stripers are holding at the moment.

I'm hoping to get up there maybe Wednesday, wind/weather permitting.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Nice greenies there. How were you fishing that storm shad?
                    Hurricane Skimmer 128
                    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      Howard,
                      I did not see many boats up there on Saturday, but I think they were south so I wouldn't have been able to see them. There were none on the western side. I did see two or three along the north eastern side but most of them were fishing LMB. I think I'll go up on Wed or Thursday myself. I was going to wait for Friday but it looks like rain.

The southern fishing isn't out of reach if you launch from Swan Creek. It's still an hour paddle, but I've done it several times. You do have to launch in isolation in the shadow of the bullet riddled car though....and the launch is very primitive.
                      I did not see any clusters of boats. I stayed within a 2 mile radius of Tydings Marina, and may have missed something farther away. There were not too many boats out yesterday. A few bass boats sped off to the south. Another dozen or so boats were casting to open water within eyesight of where I was, but I saw none of them hookup or stay in one place very long.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                        Nice greenies there. How were you fishing that storm shad?
                        All my Flats fishing yesterday was done by trolling a Storm shad and other paddletails. The speed varied depending on whether I was paddling steadily or coasting while I wound in a line to check the baits to see if they had picked up any grass. That was a constant problem. When the speed slowed, the relatively heavy lures dropped to the bottom of the shallow water and got grass covered. When I was paddling, the speed ranged from about 1.5 to 3 mph. The lures had a very enticing swimming motion at those speeds.

I had not heard of carp hitting trolled lures so was very surprised to catch one that way.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Yak Fish - Thanks for the intel. I'm afraid that Swam Creek is too much work for me and my canoe. I have about a 100' limit. Years prior to the spring of 2012, I'd always launch at the kayak put-in in Perryville Comm Park (Stump Point). From high up on those cliffs by the Perryville launch I could easily scan the entire Flats with 10X binoculars to see where the fleet was working.

Last April 18, 2012, there was a small fleet about 300 yards out from stump Point. So I launch and was into action in minutes. Then on later trips the fleet was at the island just south of Havre de Grace. Last spring I did launch at City Yacht Basin and that launch gave me decent access to points south.
                          Howard

Comment

That's a good idea. I have binoculars but from 2' off the water I can't see very far. I do look to see where the fleet is working but I didn't spot them so they must be south.
                            I was there last April 18th and you could practically walk across the boats. I had finally found a productive spot and a boater came speeding withing yards of me. I hate when it gets like that up there.
                            Tomorrow I may start north and troll to the south end of the flats. It's a hell of a trip, but I've got all day.

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                            Yak Fish - Thanks for the intel. I'm afraid that Swam Creek is too much work for me and my canoe. I have about a 100' limit. Years prior to the spring of 2012, I'd always launch at the kayak put-in in Perryville Comm Park (Stump Point). From high up on those cliffs by the Perryville launch I could easily scan the entire Flats with 10X binoculars to see where the fleet was working.

Last April 18, 2012, there was a small fleet about 300 yards out from stump Point. So I launch and was into action in minutes. Then on later trips the fleet was at the island just south of Havre de Grace. Last spring I did launch at City Yacht Basin and that launch gave me decent access to points south.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

BTW, last April 18, 2012, the water temp just off of Stump Point was 60F. As of today (CBIBS) it's hovering around 50F... so temps might be pushing 60F by mid-April. We shall see.
                              Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X