Flats 4/10/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flats 4/10/2013

I took off work today because the water temperatures looked like they've finally hit the right range. It didn't help me catch fish...zero, nada, zilch.
    I was very frustrated. I launched from Tydings and fished hard all the way over to Carpenter Point. The water temp was 53 on the west side, 51 in the middle of the flats and I found a pocket of 60 degree water in 4 FOW over in by Carpenter Point. I fished the warm water as carp were jumping all over the place, but nothing. It was kind of amazing to find such a localized warm spot, but that's how it was.

There were a few boaters out and I didn't see any fish caught. I asked a few folks out there but nothing. I put in 17 miles and crossed the bay and back with nothing to show for it except tired legs. I won't do that again. I was so tired I was afraid I would never see land again.

When I got back to dock I ran into a few older guys who'd gone out with a guide. They fished south, which is where I was planning on going but changed my mind last minute. I should have just gone with my gut. I'll need a few days to recover from today's beating. Sorry guys, I wish I could post a better report.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

That's got to be a first, King of the flats skunked. I was skunked Monday, taking a break from the flats and fishing WW bridge on Sunday for a guaranteed catch. I might try again Monday if I can clear my work schedule. I was thinking about launching out of Perryville Park for a change, it just seems so shallow in that area till you hit the middle of the flats. Monday, I was trying to find some hot pockets, but with my transducer in the hull...I don't think it would pick up a temperature variance that quickly.

Monday was like a sheet of glass, what a change. I am really starting to enjoy the flats, it stinks my knowledge of the area is so minuscule.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I fished today too after work and got the Skunk, trolled mostly around the northern section didn't want to get too far from the launch, since there have been talk of possible T-storms in the evening. Sounds like most other people I talked to at the ramp didn't do much either. Though a guy in bass boat said that the large mouths were biting pretty good.
      Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Yak, 17 miles is a massive trip. You deserved to find the fish. First time I fished the flats we covered 16 miles and I didn't think I would make it back to the dock. Trips like that make me want to upgrade to a Bigger boat.

Danny

Comment

It sounds like I wasn't the only one who struggled: http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...e-Flats-action

It makes me feel a little better, but I came home so bummed yesterday that I need to regroup for a few days and rethink my strategy....ah, the obsession of the fisherman.

Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Hey Yak Fish, saw you out there near the Perryville Community Park (orange Heritage Redfish).

It was definitely slim pickin' yesterday. I couldn't even land a catfish. Can always count on catfish out there even on lures. The baitfish were there, I saw multiple offspray and even seagulls snagging fish. I suspect the bite should pickup relatively soon. Maybe the dry spring might have something to do with the slow bite.. Look like rain for Friday .

Always good to review this article to keep things in perspective and spirits up:
            http://walleyepete.com/advice/susque...hing-tutorial/

The striped bass may just be following the herring up into creeks. Here is a report of spawning herring in the North East Creek. I catch striped bass in the North East Creek all the time (mostly in the fall). Looks like I should of tried the creek yesterday. It is closer to home (10 minutes).
            http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...log.asp?q=&p=2

This is how "Yak Fish" looked as he approached:
            Yak Fish Trolling Rig
            Last edited by dDreadnaught; 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM.
            ------------------ ,__
            ------------------ | `'.
            __---------- |`-._/_.:---`-.._
            \='.-------_/..--'`__ ----- `'-._
            -\- '-.--"` ----- === ----- / - o `',
            - )= (-----------------.-- | ----- _.'
            -/_=.'-._------------ {=_-_ | -- .-`-.
            /_.'--- `\`'-._------- '-= - \ -- _.'
            -------- )- _.-'`'-..------ _..-'`
            ------- /_.' ------ `/";';`|
            -------------------- \` .'/
            --------------------- '--'

Comment

YF,

It's days like those that really push us to go back out. With all the time you've put into that place you're due a monster.

17 miles is brutal man

Comment

Ahahaha! Nice link with the spider rig. It was true. I had 3 rods out. I mostly troll 2 but if I'm trying hard for fish and haven't found them, I'll drop the other out and sometimes even a fourth and risk a tangle if the time comes....that time has come before. After I went to all my usual spots and came up empty, I got desparate! I know of about a dozen reliable spots to catch stripers on the flats and I was able to hit half of them...I think hitting the other half would have resulted in an a trip home in an ambulance.

Good meeting you. It's hard to believe you didn't catch anything on bait in the location you were set up. Oh yeah, right after I left you a damn seagull swooped down and picked a fish off the surface. That was like a slap in the face to top it off.

Originally posted by dDreadnaught View Post
                Hey Yak Fish, saw you out there near the Perryville Community Park (orange Heritage Redfish).

It was definitely slim pickin' yesterday. I couldn't even land a catfish. Can always count on catfish out there even on lures. The baitfish were there, I saw multiple offspray and even seagulls snagging fish. I suspect the bite should pickup relatively soon. Maybe the dry spring might have something to do with the slow bite.. Look like rain for Friday .

Always good to review this article to keep things in perspective and spirits up:
                http://walleyepete.com/advice/susque...hing-tutorial/

The striped bass may just be following the herring up into creeks. Here is a report of spawning herring in the North East Creek. I catch striped bass in the North East Creek all the time (mostly in the fall). Looks like I should of tried the creek yesterday. It is closer to home (10 minutes).
                http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...log.asp?q=&p=2

This is how "Yak Fish" looked as he approached:
                Yak Fish Trolling Rig

Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

You definitely have a nice setup. I usually troll a maximum of two lures. I am very good at getting them tangled.

Last fall I had a seagull swooped down and grab my lure. It got tangle in the line. I tried and tried to free it, but when I got close to him he would nearly get my fingers. I cut the line hoping to grab the lure and pull the line out of his wing, but that didn't work. I chased that seagull for an hour before giving up.
                  ------------------ ,__
                  ------------------ | `'.
                  __---------- |`-._/_.:---`-.._
                  \='.-------_/..--'`__ ----- `'-._
                  -\- '-.--"` ----- === ----- / - o `',
                  - )= (-----------------.-- | ----- _.'
                  -/_=.'-._------------ {=_-_ | -- .-`-.
                  /_.'--- `\`'-._------- '-= - \ -- _.'
                  -------- )- _.-'`'-..------ _..-'`
                  ------- /_.' ------ `/";';`|
                  -------------------- \` .'/
                  --------------------- '--'

Comment

I'm impressed you troll more than two. It always ends in a mess when I do that. Even trolling two lines often results in problems when I hook a fish. And the tangle is nearly always from drifting back across the slack line and it always gets tangled in the rudder. Always.

Danny

Comment

That's exactly right. I do my best to keep pedaling while fighting...or at least enough to keep to drift ok.
                      I rarely have issues with two rods, but often have them if I hook one with 3.

Originally posted by Twistedfish View Post
                      I'm impressed you troll more than two. It always ends in a mess when I do that. Even trolling two lines often results in problems when I hook a fish. And the tangle is nearly always from drifting back across the slack line and it always gets tangled in the rudder. Always.

Danny

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X