south river perch slayin today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• south river perch slayin today!

got out to my pier expecting not to catc more than 2 or 3 perch but a neighbor was out there already & i asked what she had caught & she said alot of perch so i opened up the cooler & she had about 50 or 60 6-11 inch perch. i was like "oh damn". i quickly got out 5 rods with 2 hook rigs & bloodworms & the fun started. i got them on bloodworms,salted bloodworms, night crawlers,fishbites, and minnows. they were hittin everything. i tried putting out my surf rod with a whole perch filet on a carolina rig & didnt get a hit on that, also tried small 1 inch twister tails on 1/8 ounce lead heads with not a hit. go get em'

IMG_20130411_171522_043.jpgIMG_20130411_183549_788.jpg

Nice set up, hope it tracks well?

Seriously though, that's a nifty rig. I have been wanting to catch some white perch, but every time I get a chance to fish I am mysteriously drawn to the flats. Hope you had a full cooler!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

thanks, i made this wagon about 7 or 8 years ago, it works just fine. i took my wagon from when i was a kid ( the one my parents pulled me in) and i put 4 rod holders on each side. in the summer i attach a milk crate the the back that has 9 rod holders ( 3 on each side,and then one side faces the wagon). this time of year i only take 8 rods but in the summer i got crabs nets, rods, umbrellas. and my gaff (for the cownose rays). i just use it on my community pier, i have a store bought 300 cart in nc but honestly i like my homade one better

Comment

That sort of looks like my crabbing rig. I took a yard wagon and modified it as a crab wagon, when I go down to the community marina with some crab traps.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
          That sort of looks like my crabbing rig. I took a yard wagon and modified it as a crab wagon, when I go down to the community marina with some crab traps.
          don i havent seen you in a while, i went into went marine the other day and got a spool of 15 pound power pro for my new 3000 saros. you werent there though.

Comment

I have been working during the days, on weekdays. I am still there on the weekends during the day and afternoon.

Looks like the fish are moving into the river. I know you would find them.

Comment

don i think you should try off your beach or pier for perch, that is if you are looking for a good fish fry haha, maybe try the yak about 200 yards off of your community beach with some bloods. im sure you would get alot more if you were a little deeper

Comment

Any good public yak launches on the South?

If they're in the South...they gotta be in the Severn right? Weems creek could call my name for a few hours Sat AM.

Comment

Originally posted by imagine29028 View Post
                  Any good public yak launches on the South?

If they're in the South...they gotta be in the Severn right? Weems creek could call my name for a few hours Sat AM.
                  I hope you are right, but suspect they won't be in until early to mid May. Last year, the first report of perch in Weems (by Bignose) came on May 22, and it involved only a few perch. Shortly after that they came on strong. And water temps are definitely cooler this year for the same date.

I fished in Weems and other Seven tributaries three times in the past 3 weeks and was skunked each time. Late March through late April is a tough time for shallow water fishing in the Severn.

If you do fish in Weems, please post a report - either pro or con.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

all of the fish were males, none had eggs. i think they are waiting for the females. the females are the ones who go wayyyy up river , am i correct? either way today im gonna take a cooler haha

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
                      got out to my pier expecting not to catc more than 2 or 3 perch but a neighbor was out there already & i asked what she had caught & she said alot of perch so i opened up the cooler & she had about 50 or 60 6-11 inch perch. i was like "oh damn". i quickly got out 5 rods with 2 hook rigs & bloodworms & the fun started. i got them on bloodworms,salted bloodworms, night crawlers,fishbites, and minnows. they were hittin everything. i tried putting out my surf rod with a whole perch filet on a carolina rig & didnt get a hit on that, also tried small 1 inch twister tails on 1/8 ounce lead heads with not a hit. go get em'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6318[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6319[/ATTACH]
                      that wagon is awesome!
                      Dave
                      2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

thanks im in the process of building a new one because it shakes & rattles alot after 100+ fishing trips a year to my pier haha

Comment

Thanks for the report. Nice to see they finally made it to the South River. I'm going to try to get out today after work and see what I can come with rain or shine!
                          Robby
                          2014 Hobie Revo 13
                          12' Camo F&S SOT "Dirty Floater"

Comment

Working...
                          X