Mattawoman 4/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 4/21

Today was my first time on the Mattawoman. IDK what took me so long to get over there and fish it, but I'm glad I did. Since I'll be heading over there next Saturday I figured I'd get familiar with it and try my luck. I launched from Slavins, showed up sometime around sunrise and headed towards this barge I keep reading about. I turned around as quick as I started heading up because I noticed the water was getting colder. Thinking I should go towards the mouth I went that way and started loosing hope pretty quick. It was windy and cold and I only managed to pull up a dink so after an hour of fighting mother nature I came back at the launch and took a break. I met Moc there and talking with him for a bit. He told me the wind was going to die down so I owe sticking it out to him.
    I got the feeling back in my toes and headed back up towards the barge. Once I got there I went up a little further and started fishing. Mentally I was just about ready to give up, but for the sake of not being able to get out much and for the tournament, I planned to work the spadder dock and let the wind take me back. That's when I must have gotten into a pattern and out of nowhere I was bound to have the best day I've had in a while. I pulled in 6 total and they were all one after another, just as the last of the tide left. I hope the bite turned on for everyone else. The guys I talked to were having it just as rough in the morning.
    photo (42).jpgphoto (43).jpg
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Good to meet you Jon. I headed up to the barge to try my luck . Kitkatyaker was also heading up that way. You were right, many anglers said that the fishing was tough. I met Chimo on the way to the barge and he said that he caught only one bass and a crappie. He was heading back to the ramp. The wind did get a little lighter, but it came in waves as a stiff breeze from time to time. I only managed a 13 inch catfish and a big fat bluegill. Kitkatyaker hooked into something big that tied up our lines together. I was able to free my line but her line was still stuck on a log or a fish. She grabbed the line and it pulled back. It seemed to be a carp or catfish the she hooked and it ran around and caught her line in some underwater structure. We eventually had to break her line. About two minutes later a large fish surfaced infront of her yak and made a big splash. I said that the fish was giving her the finger . It got away. We called it quits by 1:30pm. The tide was very low while we were out.

Comment

sorry i didn't make it but it blew most of the day here.. I sure wish Kaye had landed that fish......i bet she gave the finger back!!
      May surf fish tonight
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Nice going! I launched around 0830 or so as you were headed towards the mouth. Caught one bass on a crank but I was really looking for crappies. Headed up to the barge and worked twister tails around the structure. Only a few bites and one 13 inch crappie. Glad you found a few.

Chimo

Comment

Working...
        X