Stripers in the shallows - plus a surprise fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripers in the shallows - plus a surprise fish

I have only fished the Susquehanna Flats twice in my life -- last April I did well on stripers, this April I caught no stripers but got some big LMBs. I started thinking about how I fish the Flats from my kayak -- I troll paddletail plastics for several hours in 4 to 6 ft depth. I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to fish the area, but that is my technique.

Given the poor reports from the Flats recently, and having heard reports of anglers catching stripers from the shore farther south, I decided to try using the same techniques on shallow water areas near the mouth of another western shore river. I paddled steadily for over 3 hours (at least half of that was getting from the launch to my targetted area). Once I reached the area, I trolled 3 rods with different sizes and colors of paddletails. I paddled at a speed ranging from 1.5 to 3 mph. Once I reached the target area, nearly all the water was in the 5-6 ft depth range. After trolling all that distance, I finally found one area about the size of a tennis court that held 15" to 16" stripers. Time after time, when I made a pass by that spot, one of the rods went down. I ended up catching 8 stripers of about the same size, and all were taken in the same small area.

003.JPG

My last fish of the day came from the same area. As I wound the lure back to the boat, the fish was not silvery nor did it have stripes. When it got close, I could see it was a very skinny 20" pickerel. The pickerel spawning season is just about over -- this fish may have had a tough spawn or was otherwise beat -- it had scars and marks over its body. As I laid it on the Hawg Trough for a measurement, many slender worms came off the fish's body. You can see a few of them in the photo.

001.jpg 002.JPG

I caught many pickerel this winter, but all of those came from wooded or grassy shorelines in the tidal creeks. This fish came from open water in any area where I would not normally target pickerel. I cannot explain why it was there.

I mentioned that I tried trolling a variety of different paddletails. Surprisingly, 7 of the 8 stripers as well as the pickerel hit the same lure (the 5" chartreuse with red band on a 1/2-oz jighead). When I fished the Flats several weeks ago, the hot lure was a 6" Storm Shad. Today it got no bites. Of the other lures shown in the photo, one fish was caught on the light green 3" Storm lure -- the rest got no bites.

004.jpg

I was hoping for some bigger fish, but was happy to get some pullage and some good exercise. The weather turned sunny and warm during the afternoon. The wind began to build such that I had 2-ft following seas on my way back to the ramp, which provided a nice push. The take home lessons were: a) keep searching -- the fish are out there somewhere. If I had stayed in just one area, I might have missed the school; and b) use a variety of lure types to determine what the fish want on that day. If I had not had that one popular lure out there, I might have gotten skunked.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice work John, glad you got on some fish! You are the pickerel master so no surprise you got one today.
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

Comment

WTG on getting a lot of pullage. I have a lot of paddletails purchased at a fishing flea market. Have yet to use them. Will use them soon, but have you tried an alabama rig? I bought one (four 8" arms) and also have yet to use it. I guess the single lures have been effective so I don't even bother with the alabama.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Your report is a good lesson in fishing. Thanks for sharing and teaching, and I'm glad you had a good day out there.

(Note to self... don't use the same lure all day Mike!!!)
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice work John! It definitely pays to be inventive

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            Will use them soon, but have you tried an alabama rig? I bought one (four 8" arms) and also have yet to use it. I guess the single lures have been effective so I don't even bother with the alabama.
            I never tried an Alabama rig. I doubt that I will use one -- I am not a big fan of multiple hooks on a lure -- too much chance to get tangled on something or caught in my hand.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              I never tried an Alabama rig. I doubt that I will use one -- I am not a big fan of multiple hooks on a lure -- too much chance to get tangled on something or caught in my hand.
              Why the mysterious location? Are you trying to keep this spot a secret? Likelihood being that the fish are constantly moving would deem this a fruitless effort for secrecy...and kind of defeats the whole sharing idea of a public forum such as this one. Not calling you out, just sayin'.....for someone trying to plan my next move and fishing location your post isn't doing much to help me here. (not that that's really our job either)
              John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
              Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Jhoss,

Not that I am the hall room monitor, but there's a kind of unspoken custom here where the experienced guys don't give their specific spots. There are reasons for this, as will become evident if you stick around. You'll get plenty of help with everything else, and I mean everything, but don't expect specific, exact locations.

As you say, the fish move around anyway. They are here today, gone tomorrow so the you'll get everything you need here to find your own spots. That's the best part of fishing anyway. Then you can be the one to give all the help, but not the spots you found yourself.

"Give a man a spot, he might eat for a day. Teach a man how to find his own spot, and he'll be a damn secretive s.o.b. for a lifetime." That's the goal.
                Last edited by Fishinfool; 04-23-2013, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Guys also share in PMs with folks they know. But we learned-- A) shallow edges at western shore river mouths produce stripers (how many places could that possibly be), B) what works today may not work tomorrow, C) John Veil will catch a pickerel on the moon
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                    Guys also share in PMs with folks they know. But we learned-- A) shallow edges at western shore river mouths produce stripers (how many places could that possibly be), B) what works today may not work tomorrow, C) John Veil will catch a pickerel on the moon
                    I guess my thinking is catching the fish is challenge enough. If I had a banner day I'd tell you where, maybe omit a detail here or there or leave out the exact spot. But I'd tell ya. First guess gunpowder?
                    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice going John !! Have you fished Deep Creek Lake in Md ? All the pickerel you want back in the coves . I don't target them , they just seem to hook themselves looking for smallies. I don't know of anyone who eats them, then again , Iv'e never asked. Nice report !
                      John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                        Why the mysterious location? Are you trying to keep this spot a secret? Likelihood being that the fish are constantly moving would deem this a fruitless effort for secrecy...and kind of defeats the whole sharing idea of a public forum such as this one. Not calling you out, just sayin'.....for someone trying to plan my next move and fishing location your post isn't doing much to help me here. (not that that's really our job either)
                        John - another excellent report, thank you for posting. You laid out the pattern, depth & lure selection & added some nice detail photos of your lures...you once again have inspired me to try this on my next visit to one the western shore rivers, maybe even an eastern shore river or my local pond/lake to see if it holds up. And like Mike S (chexone) above says...stop throwing the same lure all day - GUILTY
                        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Nice detailed reported as always. That Pickerel probably saw you and followed you out and wondered where you were going.
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

trust me, dont give out spots. many know about my problem with boats while i caught tons and tons of stripers in the fall, sorry mango

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post

"Give a man a spot, he might eat for a day. Teach a man how to find his own spot, and he'll be a damn secretive s.o.b. for a lifetime." That's the goal.
                              Great line!
                              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                              X