Raffle Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raffle Prize

Back during the Bass Pro SHop MKF exhibits, I bought five dollars worth of raffle tickets to benefit Heros on the Water- and won a fishing trip for four- today was the day-We hooked up with Skip this morning at Sandy Point State Park and headed out in near gale force winds- It was pretty bouncy to start but the winds gradually dropped- Kevin caught the first fish, Bill the second, Mike the third and I caught the fourth- great day fishing with some good friends
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-25-2013, 08:56 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

That is really neat that you all were able to go together. Congrats on the fun day of catching.
    Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice!!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks for taking us Ron! It was lots of fun. Skip is very nice, laid back and knows his fishing.

A few more pics...
        Attached Files
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Ditto ....Loved a day fishing with friends. The company was worth it even without fish. ....but happy for fish. Look forward to fishing again soon on the kayaks. It was strange to have 4 hits and 2 fish right away....then wait hours for the last two.... persistence pays off.
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Skip is an excellent fisherman, got all the toys us boys need (or want) to have a hobby become an obsession- but more than that he is a wonderful host- he worried about us having a good time all day long...right up to the last minute before we reeled in the lines and headed in- If you ever get a chance to fish with Skip, my advice is to grab it and go! Thank you Skip-
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Sorry if i missed it, but what is the name of Skips Charter?
              Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

I have known Skip for many years through Tidalfish and the Severn River Rod and Keg Club. He is one of the most generous men you will ever meet. He runs the Wish-A-Fish event each year that takes children with special needs and their families out for a morning of fishing, then throws a great party for them after they get back in. He is always looking for shore-side volunteers to help with the event, which will be mid-July this year.

Skip also is willing to share his immense knowledge of fishing techniques and practices. Those of you who read Tidalfish will recognize him as 27 Sailfish(named after his beloved Grady White boat shown in the above photos). Skip is not a charter captain -- he is a private angler, but has skills and experience comparable to many charter captains. He often posts on Tidalfish asking for HOs (individuals who want to fish for a day). That is a great chance to learn new techniques and get a day on the water without spending a full charter fee.

I do have to questions chexone's statement "Skip is very nice, laid back and knows his fishing." I agree that he is very nice and knows his fishing. However, when it comes to fishing, he is extremely intense. I recall a very telling statement made by John Page Williams one night on the Severn at a SRRKC meeting: "Skip thinks like a predator". His mind is more tuned in to catching fish than most of us can ever hope to be. Finally, when fishing things are not going well, Skip has been known to unleash a string of vocabulary words that might make a rapper blush.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  I do have to questions chexone's statement "Skip is very nice, laid back and knows his fishing." I agree that he is very nice and knows his fishing. However, when it comes to fishing, he is extremely intense. I recall a very telling statement made by John Page Williams one night on the Severn at a SRRKC meeting: "Skip thinks like a predator". His mind is more tuned in to catching fish than most of us can ever hope to be. Finally, when fishing things are not going well, Skip has been known to unleash a string of vocabulary words that might make a rapper blush.
                  Haha! well, I guess we were catching, so he did not have to resort to such outlandish behavior... he did pull out a bottle of something at one point during a lull in the action and went to town on it... we caught one right after that. (it was water or something)
                  Last edited by chex; 04-26-2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: "It was water..." I realized my comment may have been interpretted as drunken skippering, which it was not :)
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

WTG guys and great pics!

Comment

John- Skip told us he knew you pretty well and that we should kid you about him, but I did feel that would have been appropriate- you are right about his "beloved 27 foot Grady White"....he loves that boat like we love our wives- and I felt privileged that I got to skipper the boat a lot during hookups, landing the fish and relieving him at the helm- what may not show up in the pictures....the stripers were all within an inch or so of each other-
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I found this in the stomach of my fish... my scientific conclusion is that stripers eat menhaden and ... eels, maybe.

stomach.jpg
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Striper steaks anyone?

steak.jpg
                          Mike S.
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

Mike- I traditionally fileted my fish, skinned it and then cut the filets into the sized pieces I plan to cook, put in heavy-duty freezer bags and froze. Kept one bag out for a fish fry tonight. I was surprized at the roe in the fish and felt bad I kept it after seeing all the eggs-

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                              I found this in the stomach of my fish... my scientific conclusion is that stripers eat menhaden and ... eels, maybe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6561[/ATTACH]
                              That is a sharp looking cutting board. I have never seen one in chartreuse glitter. You are definitely a trendy guy to have a cutting board colored to match the lure color used to catch the fish.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X