Severn stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn stripers

I have first hand evidence that the Severn River contains rockfish at this time. I launched my kayak from Jonas Green park about 10:45 this morning hoping for a bit of pullage. I spent the first hour checking to see if the perch have moved into their shallow water shoreline spots in the mid-Severn. They were not there today. I plan to check every week or so until they show up.

After that I broke out three medium spinning rods and began trolling. Two of the rods had soft plastic paddletails that have been my go to lure recently. On the third rod, I tied on a Rapala swimming plug. I paddled along at about 2.5 to 3.0 mph. After about a mile, I moved close to shore to depth of about 10-15 ft (one cast length from shore). All of a sudden, the right hand rod behind my seat began a fast pulsation. I stopped paddling and wound it in. It was a 21" rockfish that had taken the Rapala. I grabbed the leader and was trying to figure out how I would lay a healthy fish across my thighs with the twin treble hooks flopping around. While I debated for a few seconds, the fish lunged, and the leader parted at the lure knot. There is a striper swimming around with a plug in its mouth -- if any of our members catch it, you can keep the lure, just tell me where you found it.

I tied a 6" Storm shad onto that rod and began paddling again. I made a U-turn and worked the same 200-yd stretch numerous times. The first 30 minutes were red hot.

004.JPG

On 8 consecutive passes, I caught two 21" and two 15" rockfish, and had strikes but not hookups on two more passes. After that short burst, the bite died or the fish moved off. All the fish came on the same rod -- one on the plug, and three on the Storm. All fish were gently returned to the river to swim again.

001.jpg 002.jpg

I took advantage of the split screen feature on my FF/GPS to keep track of where I had been and to see if any fish showed up on the screen. I saw very few fish marks on the FF. I decided to head back to the launch and go home for some lunch. The total length of the trip was three hours. I caught over 70 inches of rockfish today and got three hours of exercise. Not bad for a spur of the moment trip.

003.JPG
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Hey great post. Too bad for the lure...good reason not to go with lures that have stainless hooks that wont rust out of the fish's mouth. Why does it seem that you always manage to loose the one lure that just so happens to be catching all the fish? Maybe cause that's the one you are throwing the most...duh
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

When fishing lures with treble hooks for stripers, I recommend bending two of the three points on each set of hooks in until they touch the hook shank.
      This way you don't mess up the balance of the lure like it would if you cut the points off, and you save your fingers from a nasty surprise when you try to unhook the fish.
      Stripers, unlike bass generally engulf and swallow a lures.
      Works great with plugs and rattletraps.
      Yeah, you may miss a fish or two, but if you are planning to release them, anyway, you save the fish and possibly yourself from a good bit of damage.
      Crushing the remaining barb is optional, as well.

Comment

You could always just buy fish grips so u dont mess up the hooks or loose any hits.
        Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
        -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
        -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Nice healty looking striper there. Bow to the Severn master.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
            When fishing lures with treble hooks for stripers, I recommend bending two of the three points on each set of hooks in until they touch the hook shank.
            This way you don't mess up the balance of the lure like it would if you cut the points off, and you save your fingers from a nasty surprise when you try to unhook the fish.
            Stripers, unlike bass generally engulf and swallow a lures.
            Works great with plugs and rattletraps.
            Yeah, you may miss a fish or two, but if you are planning to release them, anyway, you save the fish and possibly yourself from a good bit of damage.
            Crushing the remaining barb is optional, as well.
            I very rarely use hard plastic lures with trebles. I decided to try one today without giving much thought to it. I must admit I was surprised when that lure got hit first. On metal jigging spoons like Crippled Herrings and Stingsilvers, I ususally replace the treble hooks with standard hooks.

Stu's suggestion makes sense. I never tried that.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

BTW, you did a lot better than we did on the charter boat today, as we got skunked.
              Your basic 8 hour nice day boat ride.
              But on Monday we caught a 38" and a 39".

Because stipers take lures in so deeply, even with fish grips, it is often hard to remove multiple trebles without damaging the fish. And if he is thrashing around, the risk to you, especially if you put the fish across your lap.....could be unpleasant.
              And I really like slow trolling with a 1/4-1/2 oz. silver rattletrap.

Comment

I like the trend -- today I made my third light tackle trolling trip of the week in a tidal river, and each time the fish are getting larger. Today started out well. Once I reached my target area, I began paddling 200-yd passes across the same area. On the second pass, one rod went down hard. It turned out to be a 21" fish.

001.jpg

Over the next 20 minutes, I hooked two 15" and one 19" striper. Then 20 minutes later, a powerful 23" fish hit the lure. Both the 21" and the 23" fish came on a SteveF custom rod and a grey and white 5" slender paddletail shad.

003.jpg 004.jpg

I was pretty happy already. I continued working the area for another half hour without any more takers. I then took off on a long paddle to explore more areas. I did not find any other fish, but wore out my shoulder joints with the long paddle. On my way back to the ramp, I made one more pass through the zone where the other fish had hit. The Carrot Stick with the 6" Storm shad began jerking vigorously, with line pulling out against the drag. I stopped paddling and tried to stop the initial run. In the meantime, the fish began swimming back and forth, spinning the kayak and threatening to tangle all three lines. Five minutes later, I hauled a tired 26" striper on board. That is my largest fish of the year, and was a great fight on a medium spinning rod.

006.jpg

I ended up paddling steadily for 3.5 hours, covering 7.5 miles, and catching 6 rockfish. I certainly enjoyed the trip, and hope that my tired and sore shoulder joints will not keep me off the water for long. None of the three trips were made at the Susquehanna Flats, although I fish the Flats in exactly the same way using the same rods and tackle. There are still plenty of rockfish out there guys -- if they aren't where they usually hang out, go try some other spot.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Comment

Hey John,
                  I don't want to rain on your parade, but I just realized that it is illegal to target stripers in the tidal rivers until June 1.

It would be kinda hard to convince the DNR that you are perch fishing with a 6" swim bait!

At Conowingo Dam, if they see you fishing with a lure longer than 3", the DNR will ask you to leave, or issue a citation.

Comment

Hey John,
                    I don't want to rain on your parade, but I just realized that it is illegal to target stripers in the tidal rivers until June 1.

It would be kinda hard to convince the DNR that you are perch fishing with a 6" swim bait!

At Conowingo Dam, if they see you fishing with a lure longer than 3", the DNR will ask you to leave, or issue a citation.
                    Just checked the DNR site and it appears from the map that the Severn is fair game for C&R.

Nice fish, John! Glad to see they are here. I had great luck with a Rapala plug last year.
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Hey John,

Stu -

I actually checked the DNR website yesterday before putting up this post. Take a look at map #3 at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...bregmap03.html .

I read that to show that catch and release is permissible in the Western Shore rivers during the present time period. I am aware that keeping a striper, even if it exceeds 28" is not currently allowed in the rivers.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Hmmm....curious,
                        The map seems to be in direct conflict with the published written regulations!

From page 40 of the 2013 Maryland Guide to Fishing

Fishing Locations Allowed:
                        Spring Trophy Season:
                        April 20- May 15: Chesapeake Bay from the Brewerton channel to the MD-VA line, excluding all Bays, Sounds, Tributaries, Creeks and Rivers, except Tangier Sound and Pokomoke Sound.

May 16-May 31: Chesapeake Bay downstream from a line drawn from the south corner of the Hart-Miller Island dike to the end of MD Route 21 at Tolchester and south to the MD-VA line excluding all Bays, sounds, tributaries, creeks and rivers. (There are other excluded areas that are irrelevant to this conversation).

Under the column: Restrictions & Remarks: Spawning Rivers and the Upper Chesapeake Bay are off limits until June 1 to Striped Bass fishing. Is the Severn considered a "spawning river?"

So if one goes by the "Book" it seems to be illegal to fish for Rock in the Severn until June 1.
                        However, the maps seems to indicate otherwise!

Certainly this needs some further clarification.
                        But if you've checked with the DNR and they have given the O.K. for Catch and Release..........By all means, go for it!.
                        I certainly look forward to your reports!

Comment

Imagine that govement getting things crossed.
                          D Hawk
                          Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                          Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

I think the map is obviously identifying the spawning rivers by closing them. Severn isn't one.
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                            X