Susky Flats, 4-27-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky Flats, 4-27-13

Fished the Susky Flats today, 4-27-13, 9:00am-1:00pm. I was using a green 16’ Oldtown canoe with 40# troller. Managed to catch a 25" striper on a 4” chart/glit BA paddletail on a .5oz head. The FF showed next to nothing in the channels, so I spent most of my time out in the Flats. The one striper was caught in 7’ of water near a small, loose, fleet of boats in the NW quadrant of the Flats. Not many boats out in this area compared to this time last spring when the bite was HOT.

So, the reports over the last couple of weeks were right. Striper action is indeed at a near dead stop. I didn’t see anyone else catch a fish. Dunno if I’ll get back before the C&R season is over.

Weather was ideal, comfortably mild and a near dead calm. Water vis was about 2.5’, HT @ 11:36am. Met a couple kayakers at the Tydings (City Yacht Basin) as I was taking out.
    Last edited by HJS; 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM. Reason: incorrect length
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Better than getting skunked!

Comment

At least the flats are consistently not consistent. I am only minutes from the flats...Every time I finish fishing the flats I tell myself I am done for the season. Too much work for too little fish. But every time I am mysteriously drawn back for the rockfish "day of my life".
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

After talking to one of the bay's best rock fisherman, Skip, for about 14 hours Thursday and picking his brain about fishing the Bay for stripers, it seems that this is a very "down" spring for the trophy stripers- the weeks leading up to opening day were bad, few fish, long hours of pulling 20 some odd rods with nearly forty baits in the water for three or four fish all day- hours between fish and miles of water covered- the year class is a 30'sh fish being caught...nearly 40 inches but not quite...once in a while a few 40 inch fish hit the dock, but the vast majority run 36 inches...so we will see a lot of "slot" fish in the 18-27 inch range but few trophies- and the ones being caught are full of roe, the breeders, and that means the eggs didn't get laid- reducing the spawn-

The good news is that fewer giant stripers means more spot and more trout as stripers eat trout and spot...so do I! Love a fresh speckled trout!
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the report. I think we're getting close to another moratorium... Wouldn't bother me much, plenty of other delicious fish in the bay.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

nice meeting you at the takeout.
            Dave
            2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

The fishery is showing signs of struggle, but this past week was a full moon and a lot of fish were spawning on the lower shore rivers.

Comment

Hey, lets catch them all. Then we won't have to worry, which fish have eggs or not. Sorry, the devil made me say that.

Just seems odd to talk about inconsistent fishing, while keeping the spawning fish.

Comment

Yep- totally agree- felt really bad when I cleaned my striper the other night- won't do that again...and the commercial fishermen probably feel the same way when they pull them out of their pound nets and gill nets- by the hundreds...

Same story out west- Oregon gill netters started the salmon harvest the Monday after we fished the weekend and caught our chinooks- we had to use barbless hooks and had to release a big native salmon, but the following week the gill nets were allowed to commercial fish the same waters we fished- twisted logic there-
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 04-29-2013, 03:51 PM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I must agree. If stripers had gamefish status, it would draw many more dollars to the state, in boat, tackle and charter dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                      At least the flats are consistently not consistent. I am only minutes from the flats...Every time I finish fishing the flats I tell myself I am done for the season. Too much work for too little fish. But every time I am mysteriously drawn back for the rockfish "day of my life".
                      Sparky, unfortunately you haven't had the yak out there when it's awesome...last season we were catching them in the 20-30" every 10 minutes.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                        Hey, lets catch them all. Then we won't have to worry, which fish have eggs or not. Sorry, the devil made me say that.

Just seems odd to talk about inconsistent fishing, while keeping the spawning fish.
                        I've always been confused about this... I've seen a plethora of pictures showcasing female stripers caught with egg stuffed bellies, only to make it to the frying pan

Comment

Working...
                        X