Clark's Landing 04/28/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark's Landing 04/28/2013

I went fishing with Grady Black (Mike) today. We met at 8:00am at the WAWA on Route 301 and 214. The weather was sunny in the morning with a temperature of 48 degrees and light winds, about 8 to 9 mph. The winds would pick up around mid to late afternoon, as the temperature climbed to 68 degrees. We would fish an outgoing tide since low tide was around 11:00am. We fished the creeks and coves to the right of the ramp. Grady caught a small perch on a spinner. The water was 60.5 degrees in the morning, but would warm up to 65 degrees after 11:00am. I had a few bumps on a spinner, but no takers. I tried a 1/8 ounce jig head with a chartreuse grub. No takers on that wither. I noticed small pods of fish in the deep and around the deep side of the piers. I decided to use my top and bottom perch rig that I made with a 1 ounce weight and two number six 1/16 ounce jig heads tipped with bloodworms. I located a deep end of a pier that had depths of 7 feet. I jigged my bloodworms around the pilings and caught small perch. I drifted in front of the pier and also caught more perch. All of the perch were small except for two keeps that I released. I released them because I thought that I would not catch anymore that was keeper size...big mistake. I searched around for some more keeper size perch. I jigged my top and bottom rig up a slope and hooked up with a 15 inch red drum. That was a surprise for me. I guess they wintered over last year. I eventually located some more keeper size perch. I had to drag or troll my my top and bottom rig un slopes and along the walls of the edges where I could cover a variety of depths. I landed 4 more keeper size perch using this technique and one 12 inch rockfish before I made it back to the ramp. Grady was already at the ramp. We both got off of the water since the winds were picking up quickly. At least I got 4 perch to take home for my troubles. It should have been six.
    Attached Files

Good report. It is great to hear that at least some of the redfish spent the winter. I hope they are abundant this summer and fall.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
    X