X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane's Island State Park 4/27/13

Hey guys,

First report out of my kayak!

A couple weeks ago, I went to Jane's Island with my family and took the kayak. Caught a 20-22'' striper. No ruler, no photo :[

Decided to go camping with my girlfriend this past weekend and had a blast catching little stripers, 8-14''. We caught about 5+ a piece. Most of the time I was unhooking my girlfriend's catch, so I didn't get a chance to throw my jig out. We were about 3/4 down the main channel coming from the camp site heading towards Flatcap Basin.

The first time around I just trolled a 4'' curly tail white grub on a 1/2 oz white w/ red eye jig. Caught a small 12-14'' speckled trout (pretty sure it's a speckled trout). Didn't realize it was on there because my drag was being finicky and my rods are set up behind me.

On the way back through the channel, caught a couple small stripers (same area - red line on map).

Around 5PM, I wanted to go back to the same area, so we both headed out to where the channel opens to the wider area and drifted back down the channel. I had 2 lines out with the same rig and this one time I had a double hitter and had to give my girlfriend a rod and told her to just reel. (Shes not much of a fisherwoman) Here, we caught a lot of smaller stripers and where I reeled in my catch of the day. Still no ruler, so I'm approximating. Looked to be like a 20+'' speckled trout. Anyways, threw it right on the bbq with a ton of seasoning and ate it for dinner. Yum. It was delicious.

Oh, so I was looking in the fishing guide book to see how big speckled trout had to be and only found spotted sea trout. Same fish?
    Attached Files
    Daniel Kwon
    2019 Hobie Outback Slate Blue
    2002 Triumph 190 Bay Suzuki DF115

Spotted sea trout same as speckled trout.

Nice fish.

Comment

DKWON....ur giving me trout fever
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
      X