Susquehanna - for better and for worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna - for better and for worse

gkreps (Greg) and I launched from Tydings marina about 8:15 this morning. Although we had rain and drizzle the whole time we drove from our homes there, the precipitation stopped as we launched. I hoped that was an omen -- not so. We had overcast skies with an occasional patch of blue. The wind blew steadily from the east setting up steady 1 ft waves and occasional larger ones. We trolled for 3.5 hours covering over 6 miles. I trolled three rods most of the time and Greg used two. I did not get a single bite -- Greg caught one small rockfish while trolling and several more casting at the docks waiting for me.

With the combination of wind, waves, and low water, I was unable to troll successfully in the relatively shallow area where I caught LMBs last time. Our experience this morning parallels many of the other recent reports. Lots of luck to those who want to give it one last shot this week.

After lunch, Greg headed home, but I rode up to Lapidum for some shad fishing. My first stop is casting from the rocks near the boat ramp. Today started out great. The first cast yielded a 15" hickory.

001.jpg

The third cast brought a shad doubleheader. Over the next five minutes, three more shad were caught. I stopped to retie some broken off darts. When I returned, the bite had stopped. I drove upstream to 3 more spots and caught shad at each. I left the shad biting after catching at least 20 of them.

At the last spot, I also found some very small white perch and one 12" striper.

002.jpg 003.jpg

The water level had dropped quite a bit over the last hour. Typically that shuts down the bite, but not today. I got most of my bites on the longest casts. Many thanks to Bignose's tip to me last year -- use lightweight braided line when shad fishing to get the extra few feet of casting distance. I tried it this year, and my catch numbers are up.

The afternoon catching salvaged an unproductive morning. I am thinking of heading back there later this week to get another taste of excellent shad fishing.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

You can go all the way up to the dam as well. Right as you enter fisherman's park, there is a trail to the right that you can walk a long ways down. People do a lot of shad fishing there as well. I have heard that the bite can get hot after they open more flood gates. Let us know how you do.

Comment

It's no joke...there's no fish there. I have fished every weekend at the end of march and through april and it has been awful. The season's over already which is so disappointing to me because this is normally my favorite time of year and I spend the rest of the year anticipating it!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

The only good news is .., next year has to be better!
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Hey John,
          was that you fishing just above the Rock Run area, today?
          Sure looked like you. I figured you would have kept walking upstream, but the next time I looked up there was no one there......
          Fishing was terrible today. 1 Shad, one 10" Rock, after that nada.
          Combination of low water and bright sun light.
          I didn't feel like moving up to Deer Creek or the Dam.
          I hate combat fishing in the crowds.

Comment

John - Very sorry to hear the stripers are still a no-show on the Flats... and we have just about run out of time. I'da thought the overcast skies would have been strongly in your favor and at least give you a couple of notable stripers. Guess that wasn't enough. My enthusiasm to go on Thursday has almost vanished. I can't see wasting a day when I can go somewhere else and at least catch a few fish to take home. I might try Prettyboy Reservoir. Wperch ought'a be spawning along the shoreline... easy pickins then.

Oh, and wtg with the hickories. Overcast skies are a definite advantage when it comes to spookish mid-day hickories.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              Hey John,
              was that you fishing just above the Rock Run area, today?
              Sure looked like you. I figured you would have kept walking upstream, but the next time I looked up there was no one there......
              Fishing was terrible today. 1 Shad, one 10" Rock, after that nada.
              Combination of low water and bright sun light.
              I didn't feel like moving up to Deer Creek or the Dam.
              I hate combat fishing in the crowds.
              Stu -

I was about 50% certain that you were the guy just upstream from me near Rock Run, but I never got close enough to verify it. Sorry we did not meet up.

I started fishing off the rocks at the Lapidum boat launch about 8:15. I caught 6 hickories in the first 10 minutes on a double chartreuse dart rig. As I was unhooking fish #6, I heard a cracking sound, and found that the outer 14" of my brand new St Croix Triumph rod (less than two hours of casting usage on it so far) was no longer attached to the rest of the rod. I had a spare rod in my van, and switched the reel with PowerPro to that rod. But by the time I took care of those things and started casting again, the bite had stopped at that spot. I moved 100 yds to the upstream end of the parking lot and got another fish.

My goal for the day was to visit lots of different shoreline spots as a reconnaissance effort. There are many places from the dam down to Lapidum where an angler can get to the water, but they are not always safe at some water levels. Also, overhanging branches make casting difficult or impossible. I typically took 5-10 casts at each place. If I got a fish or felt bumps, I kept at it longer. But if I had no bites, I moved on. I visited at least 10 spots, and caught at least one fish at about half of them.

I think I ended up the day catching about 15 hickories, but other than those first 10 minutes, the bite was not fast or predictable. Later in the day I replaced the bottom dart with a gold spoon. The fishing definitely dropped off after 9:30, but I got the fish shown below at 1:00 just downstream from Fisherman's park at the dam on the gold spoon. It was my last fish of the day and may have been the largest.

005.jpg

I wondered why my camera was not taking a single photo at one point. When I got home I discovered that while I was holding the fish in one hand and trying to trigger the shutter in the other, I inadvertently switched the camera to video mode for a 5 sec film of a live fish wiggling in my hand. It is not great cinematography but it does show how pretty the shad are.

Last edited by J.A. Veil; 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The spot you saw me in is my not so secret sweet spot!
                A couple of steps in either direction and you aren't in the chute.
                Aim to the second island and let it drift to the first island.
                This was where I got a tremendous number of fish a couple of weeks ago.
                Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                X