Fishing with the Gregs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing with the Gregs

I fished with gkreps (Greg K.) earlier this week at the Susquehanna Flats with lousy success. I told him I knew where there were rockfish in the Severn that could be targeted by light tackle trolling. He joined me again this morning. Another fishing buddy, Greg S. has fished the bay for years but had never tried fishing from a sit-on-top before. I told him he could use my back-up kayak, a Malibu Mini-X.

I had planned on carrying my two boats inside the back of my minivan. Then we realized that Greg K. carries his kayak on a trailer -- Jonas Green does not allow trailers. When he arrived at my house, we loaded his kayak on my roof racks, and off we went.

006.jpg 001.jpg

The wind was low this morning, and without the usual weekend boat wakes, the Severn was calm. We paddled downstream looking for a good spot to troll.

003.jpg

Eventually we found a promising location and put out various lures to troll with medium spinning rods. Greg S. entered the target zone first and immediately hooked up with a large fish. After fighting it for several minutes, he boated a 28" rockfish.

004a.jpg 005a.jpg

We all thought this was the start of some good catching. However, after that first fish, we continued searching for another 2 hours without a bite. Finally as we decided to head back to the ramp, I hooked a small rockfish. Greg K. did not get a bite. I have not treated him well this week -- two long trolling trips and very little to show for it other than learning a new fishing technique. Fortunately he is a great guy and a pleasure to fish with. As for Greg S., he talks too much and gloated nonstop over his big fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

haha good fish john, i liked how you blocked out the backround . i need to learn how to do that

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
      haha good fish john, i liked how you blocked out the backround . i need to learn how to do that
      I use a photo viewing and editing program called ACDSee 15. It lets me do various things to improve or change photos. I used a drawing tool that acts like an onscreen magic market to block out parts of the image.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thats a solid looking Striper you put your buddy on, nice report.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice fish John! LTT (as opposed to LTJ) is my new favorite way to fish. Nothing like a good sized rock on a light rod!
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Working...
            X