Mattawoman 5/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman 5/4

I launched out of Slavin's on Saturday morning around 7:30 am. It was my first time there, and I have to say, that it is beautiful down there! Man, there were a bunch of boats, both bass boats and yaks there already. I think someone said there was a tournament going on. I started fishing the first bank on the left trying out a new reel (Penn Battle 3000) I picked up. I was also trying out a Spro popper frog. I love that reel. Spooled with Power Pro line you can cast a mile with little effort, and the reel is smooth as butter.

Anyway the frog wasn't producing anything, so I switched to a Zman chatterbait in a black color. The wind picked up, and there were snakeheads around, they kept jumping. About 30 minutes into the trip, I had a hit and hung a fish. It wasn't jumping, so I thought it could be snakehead (I had never caught one), it wasn't pulling real hard, then it surfaced, and I realized he was bigger than I thought. He saw me and started fighting harder, but I was able to land him. I used some kitchen shears to cut his gills, and let him bleed out, but I had a heck of a time getting the lure out.
    When I measured him, he took up all of my 30" hawg trough. I estimated he was about 30" and about 10lbs. I was very fortunate that I got a nice snakehead for my first one.

Unfortunately I didn't have a metal stringer, so he had to hang out in my yak, and I would dump him in the water to keep him cool.

Cooked him up today. Fried and pan seared it, and everyone is right, they are a delicious fish! Can't wait to catch more.

Also the milkcrate with rod holders and homemade hawgtrough holder worked great!

485416_10102150282333810_1353408500_n.jpg601799_10102150283037400_2021350270_n.jpg941047_10102150283147180_157034689_n.jpg944589_10102150282742990_937946511_n.jpg945049_10102150282877720_720659144_n.jpg393065_10102150282952570_563853905_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9WI9KfeIRc This an old Japanese method. It still works today!

Comment

That is a nice snakehead! Congrats on the 30", that is a good sized one. Based on what I saw last season I think the average size is around 22" to 23".

p.s. zip tied bungee for the hawg trough holder? I'm looking for a handier place to store mine on the water
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

You should have checked the measurement on that fish better. The leader board on this site has the biggest at 30.5" It could have been a winner.

I am waiting for a family friend to get finished with baseball so I can take him and my daughter down there after a few snakes. Both are interested in catching their first.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Nice one!

Originally posted by Gregtokoolman View Post
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9WI9KfeIRc This an old Japanese method. It still works today!
          Didn't realize it was an old Japanesse method but this is how I like to deal with snakeheads myself. Not so much as a twitch once you hit the spot

Comment

Nice catch. I'm itching to go and get my first one. I also like the way you rigged the hawg trough. I'll have to play with that placement. Congrats.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

Nice Snakehead!
              2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Potomac Pike are back in action!!! Congrats!!

Comment

Nice snakehead! Be careful with the Japanese way, I think this one I caught last year may have survived it! I usually just cut the gills when they are in the net and let them bleed out in the water, it usually kills them!

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I think we should call them Potomac Steelhead instead. They deserve the name!!

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                    Nice snakehead! Be careful with the Japanese way, I think this one I caught last year may have survived it! I usually just cut the gills when they are in the net and let them bleed out in the water, it usually kills them!

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                      That is a nice snakehead! Congrats on the 30", that is a good sized one. Based on what I saw last season I think the average size is around 22" to 23".

p.s. zip tied bungee for the hawg trough holder? I'm looking for a handier place to store mine on the water
                      Thanks! Yes, that's is a bungee, or it might just be rope that is zip tied. It worked pretty good. I just put the trough through the bungee/rope and then got the loop like I wanted it and zip tied it. Good luck!

Comment

I like how he killed the snakehead !

Last edited by Berto; 05-07-2013, 11:24 AM.
                        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I saw the same thing used a lot in N. Yorkshire England. It was used by trout fishermen. They called the club a "Priest" . . . as in the administrator of The Last Rites.
                          Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

30 inches is a nice one! Glad you ate it. I hate seeing ones rotting out there that people just kill and leave. At the very least, you could take it to the ramp and offer it up to someone who needs the meat to feed a family. I eat mine.
                            Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Working...
                            X