Stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripers

I finally got out for the first time yesterday, 5/6. I trolled around in the South River for a few hours. It was rough. When I launced, it was marginal. After about a hour and a half the wind really started to pick up and shifted a bit to the southeast. I could not get out to some of the better places that I normally fish. I did manage to catch 4 stripers, 2 around 18-19" and two dinks. Sorry that I didn't take any pictures. It was so rough it was difficult enough to reel in the fish and keep the kayak going straight. I had several other take downs, without hookups. I attribute that to fishing barbless. I lost another 18-19" fish right at the side of the kayak. Occasionally, a wave would come from the side, without my notice, and wash the kayak sidways a few feet. It was sporty out there yesterday.

All in all it was fun. It was my first time out this year. I got to use two new rods that I built over the past winter. I just could not let another day pass and not fish. It has just been that way this year, there seems to alway be some task to do on my days off. It would have been another week, to pass, if I didn't go yesterday. So I went, wind and all.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM.

Thanks for the report. I'm glad you found some fish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad you got some pullage Don ..........

Comment

good job don, if i was you i would troll around that spot i was talking to you about in the store. dawn and dusk are the only times ill fish there, trust me go out around 6 and troll till 8 30

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
          good job don, if i was you i would troll around that spot i was talking to you about in the store. dawn and dusk are the only times ill fish there, trust me go out around 6 and troll till 8 30
          I did fish that area. I also came around your way. I was looking for more calm water. The fish that I caught were out near the deep hole. Everything came around that area. There were white caps in almost the entire river on Monday. I was trolling crankbaits.

Comment

don, i kow how you are about crank baits but try trolling a storm 6 inch shad in pearl or white/chartreuse color. it shore has been workin at that spot. also if i was you i would anchor up and cast at that spot.

Comment

Next time I may anchor up. However, on Monday it was far to rough to anchor. I will give the Storm a try. Maybe, only if the crankbaits let me.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                Next time I may anchor up. However, on Monday it was far to rough to anchor. I will give the Storm a try. Maybe, only if the crankbaits let me.
                I have had good luck trolling a 6" Storm Shad in bunker color in the Severn for stripers. When I tried trolling smaller lures (3"-4") I had little interest. That lure is fairly heavy -- you need to troll in at least 5 ft water depth or else it will drag bottom.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I troll mostly deeper water, 15'-20'. I troll just along the edge of the drop offs. That is one thing where a FF/GPS combo unit comes in handy. I can follow right along the contour lines, where the shallows drop off to the deeper water. I visit the shallows on occasion.

Next time out I am going to use the storm shad. I may even use them in tandem, with a heavy bucktail as weight.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                    I troll mostly deeper water, 15'-20'. I troll just along the edge of the drop offs. That is one thing where a FF/GPS combo unit comes in handy. I can follow right along the contour lines, where the shallows drop off to the deeper water. I visit the shallows on occasion.

Next time out I am going to use the storm shad. I may even use them in tandem, with a heavy bucktail as weight.
                    I had great luck last year trolling a bass assassin on a jig head. Yeah, I know, it sounds a little odd but it works. Personally, I like red/white or glow in the dark/red.
                    LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                    Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                    X