Summer fishing in the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer fishing in the Severn

I have been fishing the Severn most weeks for the past two months. I have tried to keep track of whether the perch have moved into the shallows yet. I had some indication two weeks ago that their movement had started. Today confirmed that they are available in at least some shallow shoreline locations.

I fished from 12:30 to 2:30 today in areas between the two Severn River bridges and had a dropping tide. The water in the main river and in a tributary was the same light brown color (coffee with cream) I saw last week. Today, much of the surface had small white specks (I suspect they were some type of tree part).

002.jpg

For the first 1.5 hours, I fished in a quiet tributary. I caught about 10 perch over grass beds. Most were small, but I did get an 11" and two 10" perch. The bottom depth here was less than 2 ft, and the water level above the grass was less than 1 ft. It was tough fishing because of all the grass that could easily catch on the lures.

For the final 30 minutes, I fished in an exposed cove off of the main river. I found a few small perch within the 20 feet nearest to the shoreline. The depth there was 2-4 ft. I caught 5 small perch in this location, particularly in one short stretch of shoreline that almost always holds perch in the summer.

I fished two ultralight rods. The first had one of Woody's feather spinner jigs in 1/16-oz size (Maryland Tackle). It was light enough to stay in the top few inches of the water and could skim over the grass tops. It accounted for 13 of the 15 perch. The second rod had a beetle spin, but I replaced the beetle plastic with a 3" minnow. It had a heavier jighead and was not practical for fishing in the grass beds.

004.jpg

I observed a great blue heron with one wounded wing. It seemed incapable of flying and just walked and hopped around when I got too close. It must be tough to get by in nature with such a significant injury.

003.jpg

The fishing was not fast today, but some perch are now in place in the shallows. It should continue to get better each week. I also was able to transition into my warm weather fishing pants and old sneakers rather than needing cumbersome boots or waders.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

*Rubbin hands* I can't wait for this warm weather to stay a tad more consistent! One of my goals for this season is to pull out a citation WP out of the Severn! Thanks for the intel John! That Heron looks bad... I wonder what happened to it?

Comment

john. i have been catching alot of nice sized ones in ramsey lake with live minnows under bobbers near piers

Comment

Originally posted by kayak456 View Post
        john. i have been catching alot of nice sized ones in ramsey lake with live minnows under bobbers near piers
        There are lots of places to find perch. Unfortunately for most of us, we have no easy access to productive water bodies like Blackwalnut Cove and Ramsey Lake. Your ability to access these water bodies through living in water-privileged communities is very desirable. Enjoy it.
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

john, i love living on the water. im sure they are in the severn though. maybe try closer to the mouth? earlier in april there was slime all over black walnut cove but its all gone now. its just sand thank god. i got REALLYYYY tired of having to take that crap off the hook on every cast.

alot of the perch i caught had the slime in the stomach. maybe they eat it? or maybe they accidently eat it while sucking up minnows and grass shrimp

Comment

Thanks for the report John,
            VERY helpful!!
            GB

Comment

Before fishing in Weems Creek, check out my post on the main Forum about a sewage spill.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

I went out this morning for a couple hours. No perch up my way yet.
                LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                X