Susky Flats Report 5/17/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky Flats Report 5/17/2013

Looks like the rock finally showed themselves in the flats! After a very discouraging C&R season, I decided to try my luck for a keeper.
    Launched out of Tydings Marina around 6am, beautiful morning and the flats....well they were flat.

I was fishing the outgoing tide, low tide was arriving around 9:30. Water temps were in the mid 60's, 64.5 to be exact. Hooked into my first rock within 15 minutes trolling two xraps. She was a 25 incher, I decided not to press my luck...she was the keeper of the day. I found a nice bowl in flats, about a 100 yard diameter. The outer edges were 8ft and the inner bowl was a deep as 14ft. I marked every rockfish as a waypoint and found a pattern and stuck with it the entire morning.

I caught 14 rockfish ranging from 14" to 28", most were in the mid twenties. All my rock were caught inside the bowl or on the outer 8ft edges. If the depth was shallower than 8ft, I turned back around and re-entered the thunderdome "Two men enter, one man leave". All fish were caught on xraps...one white and one blue. It looks like the rockfish had not spawned yet....I think I did a few times, but we will keep that between you and I!

What a great morning! I finally met HJS (Howard) and had a friendly chat....he has a sweet canoe set up. I headed back in around 10am, the bite never slowed.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Nice report! Thanks. Its about time some rock showed up. Crazy spring
    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
    2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
    Rob

Comment

Great report Jeremy, you have no idea how bad I wanted to leave work when you called. Looking forward to Sunday now. glass ghost and blue sardine xrap
      Dave
      2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Damn! Maybe if I get enough work done around the house tomorrow, I can still make it out for a few hours on sunday...

Nice report, I like the last line of your thrid paragraph, lol!
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Very nice indeed. Glad to see you found them and brought them in. I will definitely have to try and make it out there Sunday with DaveFx.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

I hear you Ryan, the last few weeks I have been cranking out all of my spring projects and maintenance. All that's left is pressure washing, but that can wait. I am heading out for sure Sunday Morning, EARLY. If it's too rough to troll, with what I was marking...anchoring and jigging should produce.

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            Damn! Maybe if I get enough work done around the house tomorrow, I can still make it out for a few hours on sunday...

Nice report, I like the last line of your thrid paragraph, lol!
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

I forgot to mention, there was alot of activity on top the water this morning. Although I am not seasoned well with rockfish or the flats, I know for sure it was not carp. Carp usually break the water, and I know it was not baitfish since usually you can follow the pattern for a few feet. These were surface swirls, barely breaking the water, big water displacement...they were where I had the most success. Could these be rockfish?

HJS thought they were rockfish, maybe an odd spawning behavior? I know with bass, topwater isn't thrown till summer and fall....I would assume it's the same for rockfish.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK

JEREMY D

Comment

During good years on the flats, people do very well on top water in spring in the early morning hours. May be worth a try bringing some big plugs sunday...
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice going! and thanks for the report... that blue xrap is my fav.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Dang Jeremy, I’m almost embarrassed to give my report because I only caught 1.5 stripers… “half” because one shook the hook “half” way in. I launched at Tydings ~7:15am and headed for the Flats. In short order I met up with Jeremy in the middle of his “bowl”. He had already caught 3 trolling. I stubbornly stuck with jigging my trusty arsenal of soft plastics in colors and styles that have treated me so nicely on the Flats during previous years… to no avail, not even a tap did I get. After an hour of jigging, and seeing Jeremy catch a couple more stripers trolling, I too started trolling. I put on a 6” Rapala countdown, silver/blue, with rattle, and a 1oz inline trolling sinker added to keep the lure near bottom. After 15 minuets I caught my first striper, 21”. The second hit came about 30 minutes later but that was the one that eventually shook the hook half way in. I had one more solid hit but no hookup… and that was it for the rest of the morning. Took out ~11:30am.

The FF wasn’t exactly loaded with striper marks, not by a long shot, but definite marks were seen. Also saw many nice schools of baitfish on the FF with “big” marks under and near them. I just couldn’t get them to hit jigged lurers. I too saw several convincing swirls. Some of the swirls were made by nice fish.

I eventually gave up fishing Jeremy’s bowl and headed in the direction of Perryville Park. About 200 feet behind the triple barges a saw a couple of really big swirls with heavy pig-like slurping noises almost within casting range. They looked exactly like big stripers chasing bait on the surface. I quickly moved up to them and cast all around these breakers with not a single hit. They eventually moved in my direction and went right under my canoe. And to my surprise they turned out to be 3 orca-sized carp playing grab-ass on the surface. What a letdown THAT was… my heart was going a mile a minute. So now I'm not so sure about the swirls Jeremy and I saw earlier in the morning.

So, my hat goes off to Jeremy… WTG and a job well done… and I still have no idea why I couldn't catch stripers while jigging. There's always next spring.
                    Last edited by HJS; 05-18-2013, 07:26 AM.
                    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Nice job Jeremy. That sure beats my two trips to the Flats this year.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I forgot to add that after I took out at Tydings, I drove up to Rock Run Mill to see what was happening up there. I river was low, minimal generation going on. Moderate fishing pressure and everyone was after white perch. Using my 10X binoculars I could clearly see that some boaters and some guys on shore were catching white perch almost every cast, fairly nice ones too. So, if you go up to Rock Run after white perch, keep moving around until you find fish… it’s all about location.
                        Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                          It looks like the rockfish had not spawned yet....I think I did a few times, but we will keep that between you and I!
                          LOL!!!! Nice!

Thanks for the informative report bro! Extremely timely as well since I'm planning on visiting my in-laws next weekend who live 30 minutes from the flats. I plan on fishing that Saturday and maybe Sunday, God willing...

If you'r available, would love to meet up with you! and any of the other guys who live close to that area
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I got out today and fished for a few hours...yup, there are fish there. Most of the fish caught were 18-20", but I did manage a 25 incher. I was off the water by 11, just in time for the wind to really start picking up. There were plenty of boats out there. I could see a cluster by the southern end of the flats. There were some up north that drifted further south as the day went on. I was hoping for more fish in the 25-35" range, but I couldn't find those. The trick was finding the first fish and the direction they wanted the lure to be going. Once you do that, just keep doing the same thing.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

Nice Job!
                              2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                              X