Piney point produces 2 limits...at least

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney point produces 2 limits...at least

As usual, there were a few "Snags" in my trip, but at least it did not involved forgetting my paddle or PFD....did involve dead camera battery so there are no pics from me. Ronault should have some up soon.
    Anyway we launched at Piney Point ramp at 7:35 and headed down river to a little place I like for trout and rockfish. Trolling the "comeonfish special", bass assassin 4" shad salt&pepper w chartreuse tail, and a rapala, I was full of anticipation, imagining the big gator trout I would find there. As soon as we reached "the chimney hole" -bam- pole went down and line was running off the reel. I keep drag a bit looser when i'm expecting trout, but this was a powerful fish anyway. I could just see that gator (it hit the comeonfish special) in my mind but it turned out to be an especially feisty 19 inch rockfish. about 100 yards later--BAM--- and another 20" rock and I had a limit before 9 am. paddled about 5 times and ---Bam-- 12 inch perch. I caught numerous smaller rockfish...no trout...all on the same lure and all with the fish finder showing 6 feet of water under the boat. Ron eventually caught a 20 incher and we ran off looking for his second keeper and our target, trout.
    Our explorations resulting in mostly sub-legal rockfish (ron caught about 20 between 14 and 16"), too 16 inch fatties and we headed back to the original spot. I immediately had 2 monster perch on but could only boat one, another 12 incher but really deep, and then I had to take a break. I had been trolling constantly for 4.5 hours and my arms were about to fall off. Ron filled his limit about then and we had 2 limits of rockfish by 11 AM.
    I finally caught my trout...only 12 inches, but at least I had my target species. He hit a 4" bass assassin shad in electric chicken (another comeonfish favorite). Flipped him back and started paddling for home. I then caught my biggest rock of the day in nearly the same place I caught the first, but I did not cull my stringer. I was afraid after being towed for so long the earlier fish would not survive.
    On the way out we met the Lostnavigator, who did not seem that lost today. I hope he caught a limit, too.
    All in all a great morning.
    Thanks Ron for changing your plans to come fish with me! Thanks Comeonfish for all the great info over the years! I'll drop u a line when the trout hit piney point better and we can fish it together!
    Here is a pic one I got home
    Last edited by kevinfry; 05-19-2013, 06:05 PM.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

great report...hope I could join someone for some strippers lol
    Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
    Asian Anglerz
    TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Great report Kevin, I hit the flats today with good results also
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

No Problem Kevin- here is one of the dozens we caught today- this was your first fish-

We started the trip from the launch- I was trying a couple of different combos- finally I went with my old standbys- XR10 XRaps in bunker color- hadn't gone very far and I had a fat 14 inch striper- first fish of the day- and it wasn't even eight o'clock- figured we would have a good day and I was right- I brought home a 20 and a 20 1/2 inch limit along with a 12 inch white perch-
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great report Kevin! I really like the excitement in your write-up!

Thanks for the additional info and the pic Ron!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I tried to talk Kevin into fishing with me at a different location, but he was determined to fish Piney Point, so I wasn't going to fish by myself and decided I would hook up with him early Sunday morning- in perfect 20/20 hindsight... Kevin called it right-I caught three legal rockfish all about the exact same size- one on a red jighead with a 4 inch chartreuse gulp and two on bunker colored XR10 Rapala XRaps- I caught many 17 inch, 16 inch and 14 inch long thick, fat, spunky rockfish- at one spot I had landed a fish, and just dropped my jighead overboard- didn't even have to jig it- they hit it suspended a few feet under the kayak- Why? After unhooking my fish, I flipped the gulp overboard to get the hook away from me while I measured the fish- noticed my rod was jumping with another fish- after that I just sat there doing the suspended gulp trick- Kevin came over after noticing I was sitting still catching fish- got tired of catching sub-legal fish and left hungry fish in search of bigger ones-
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-20-2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Very nice those look like some fat perch...did. anyone try for croaker?
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Nice report! I can hear the oil sizzling from here

Comment

Ate a big plateful of fresh striper filets tonight- yumm- we did not fish for anything other than speckled trout and stripers

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                    Nice report! I can hear the oil sizzling from here
                    Boiled heads for fish stock (froze it for a future paella), baked the rest and served it with Kale......ate only leftover filet for breakfast on my drive to work. 19" Rockfish are the BEST.
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Sounds like some good action. Thanks for the report.

Meadeo
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                        Boiled heads for fish stock (froze it for a future paella), baked the rest and served it with Kale......ate only leftover filet for breakfast on my drive to work. 19" Rockfish are the BEST.
                        Thanks for the good reports guys.

I'll have to remember about the head stock. I love paella!
                        Hobie Pro Angler 12
                        WS Classic Pungo 12

"Ocean - A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Fine day of fishing! Thanks for the report
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for the report.
                            Hobie Outback
                            WS Tarpon
                            IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Great report. Nice looking fish, yummy!!!!
                              "I own my own happiness"........ Michelle Obama

Comment

Working...
                              X