No announcement yet.

Gear Review 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My girlfriend calls it fishharmony.com and makes fun of me for all the time I spend reading reports and meeting up with you guys. She laughs, but she's glad I've found a group of guys as nuts about fishing as I am and she's even caught the bug. I got her a cobra escape recently so that she can join me on the water more next year. I can't ask for more than that!

I put together an album with some fish pictures from this season, I need to take more pictures next year for sure...

http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/...php?albumid=16
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I get the "wish you'd talk to me as much as you talk to your fishing buddies on the Internet" from the missus as well! But, like many of you, she's glad, and I am too, that I've met up with a great bunch. I've learned a ton and it really has expanded my horizons around the bay. It's been great and can't wait for next season!

Great pics, Michael. I gotta remember to take the camera with me more.

I'll second Don's suggestion on a long range M&G. Especially to the Outer Banks. Believe it or not I've never been there! It's been on my bucket list so I'm ready. I've caught reds in Louisiana. Would love get into some "locally".

Seems there's some consensus on evening M&G's. Someone with knowledge on those horse croaker I've heard so much about will have to take lead. Wow: http://hamptonroads.com/node/312171

If I caught that I would've thought it was a deformed redfish without the tail spot!

Just a little something to warm up your winter!

Comment

Check that out! I want one. I would have thought that it was a redfish. I am in for that trip, 8lbs. Thats unreal. The way the little guys up here fight, that would be great.

Shame, Shame, Shame, I have never caught a redfish or been to the Outer Banks either. If not for a meet and greet, some of us should get a trip together. I understand that there are tackle shops that will help with information, on places to stay and places to launch. Will have to look into that. As many times as I have been fishing in Florida, I have always gone after bass, offshore for sails or on the flats for bones and permit, never for reds. Shame, I have not caught snook either. I have fed them from the dock, on left over bait from a sailfish trip. Now that I have become a kayak fisher, I will never go to to Florida without my kayak. I have this thing about catching a sailfish from a kayak. Ahh yes, the bucket list. That bucket is still full. Got to get moving.

Thanks for that croaker address.

Comment

If the white marlin bite is anything like it was in 2010 i bet we could get an OC charter to let us bring a couple yaks and we could pitch baits at the cutters. I was there a few different days when fish were just crashing baitballs left and right it was nuts. The mate on my buddys boat was up on the bow tossing pitchbaits at them and people on some of the other boats were throwing flys. I dont know if decent live bait could be found in OC but if we could get our hands on some we could get close to the balls for a longer period of time than the boats can. Ive read an article about them doing this for stripeys out of Cabo. Anyone down for an Ocean Shitty Sleigh-ride?
          Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Mothership trip would definitely be fun to do. I'd love to go to the light tower and try jigging for some reef donkeys. I have the Avet now... I need to use it!

Kanvery wants to get a king mac trip going for the OBX next year too. Would be a fun weekend, reds and trout in the sound, king macs and sharks out front...
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

at worst we could put the kayaks in and fish the lobster balls for dolphin.
              Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I'm game!!!

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...n-off-Hatteras!

Comment

i saw that on TF very cool, i wonder what that would cost. im ready to fly to Florida and rent a kayak and fish for the rest to the winter, but its 36* in Miami now not much warmer than here i hope they dont have another fish kill like last year they might close inshore fishing if they do

Comment

Blackfin are the perfect size kayak tuna. A 23lb blackfin is a big fish. Also, the thing about Florida, you can paddle out to those type fish. From Jupiter, South, that type of fishing is possible, without the mothership. Granted, it is quite a paddle and not as safe, but it is possible. Even closer in, cobia and kings are a good catch. This is not to mention the inshore fishing, tarpon, snook and reds. I prefer to have my own kayak, but if flying a rental is always nearby. Get a P/U or SUV as a rental and you are set. Besides, they also have those monster largemouth in Florida. So while the family is on the beach, you can paddle out a get some fishing time in.

Given the cost of taking out a charter, farther north, depending on how you split it up. You could go to Florida for a couple of days and kayak fish. Possibly a little more money, but the fishing is wild. This is really nice if you go in the winter and go from cold to warm. Although it can get chilly in Florida too. In the winter, it is like going from black and white to color.

Comment

Florida is really a fishermans paradise,I went on a charter boat in Fort Lauderdale not any further than 2 or 3 miles out and caught a sailfish a couple years ago.you could see the buildings in plain site.The gulfstream comes really close to the beach.My nephew lives and surfs in Daytona beach and he said he saw a school of huge tarpon swim right by him in the surf.

Comment

It is great. I have caught Tarpon right off of South Beach and Haulover [spell ?] Inlet, just beyond the surf line. On an outgoing tide they lay just off the inlet and feed on the bait comming out of the inlets. It is great fishing.

Comment

i agree, FLA is a fishing paradise as is Va Beach very easy access to good fishing.

Comment

Well, as far as gear goes, I have just about repaired the burned out trolling motor plug. I replaced the old flexcon tubing with reinforced bilge hose. I made a new fitting out of a thru hull waterproof wire connector and a NPT/barb combination. Just waiting for the glue and goop to set up. Then all is needed is a couple of hose clamps. This time it should be totally waterproff. I don't think standard marine plugs or most boating electrical fittings are kayak proof. The old plug got so hot it melted. It was all wet inside, so I guess the water shorted things out. The new set up may not be quite a flexible, but it will surely be waterproof, at least until it leaks again.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                              , but it will surely be waterproof, at least until it leaks again.
                              I like this part, kinda like a little bit pregnant

Comment

Oh I almost forgot! I also installed my roof rack! The wife can no longer punish me by not letting me use the truck! I used the Yakima 7 landing pads and control towers and bars. I was a little nervous about drilling holes into my roof, but it has held up great! No leaks and its solid as a rock. Here is a pic of my babies SEXY

MYT

Comment

Working...
                                X