Susky Flat 5/25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky Flat 5/25

So Toyomo and I decided to brave the winds that all the weather folks were warning about. We were met by echo5oscar at the ramp and we all headed out together. The wind conditions were not anyware near the scare they were talking about. Yes there were winds and yes some white caps every now and then, but it was still fishable... albeit with both hands on my hobie side handels LOL... but we got through it! I'll let Toyomo and Echo tell their reports... here is how mine went:

Air temp was in the upper 60s and the water was about in the mid 60s according to my FF.
    Less than 15 minutes into heading out I hook-up with my first fish. At first I wasn't sure, but after about two turns of the reel, the rod had a nice bend... so I knew I had something. At this point I was in the middle of the flats in about 14 feet dept (I had about 150 feet of line out) and the waves and wind were hitting hard. Last thing I wanted to do is get turtled because of reeling in a fish. A big advantage of the Hobie was realized for me... I kept peddling with the direction of the waves while slowly reeling in the fish. This made a HUGE difference... anyway I boated it and it looked to be at least 20"! Like a nerd I was pushing myself to get a precise measurement and was taking my sweet time expanding my measuring board (mine is the Plano one that is two pieces, where the first one ends at 19.25). I get the hooks out, put on the fish grips and proceed to place the fish on the board and SPLASH! fish got back into the water! I was dumbfounded! I literally could have been done for the day and not had to keep fighting the winds! I learned something about the fishgrips... and maybe this is just mine... when I squeeze them hard, the jaws come apart slightly. I think this coupled with not making sure they are secure in the fish's mouth caused my first ever Keeper Rock to jump out of my Masgouf plans! Yup... this was going to be my first ever keeper rock.

About two hours later and my favorite hat going overboard I hooked up with my second rock of 19". Needless to say that I made sure to put it on the stringer ASAP. With that I called it the end for fishing and the beginning of a Masgouf Feast!

By the way Sparky1423's blue sardine lure was the winner both times

Here is the fish

Stay tuned for pictures of it's Masgouf journey
    Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 05-25-2013, 10:12 PM.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

thanks for the report...nice fish
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Ok so putting together the pictures took less time than I expected...

Enjoy the Masgouf Feast featuring my and Toyomo 's fish

And the finish... I lay the fish right on the coals with the scales still on and spooned a nice sweet and tart sauce...

Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 05-26-2013, 06:15 AM.
      -Mustafa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

What an experience! This was my maiden voyage with my new hobie outback and it was definitaly less than ideal conditions. I had scouted the night before and it looked relatively calm and definitaly fishable. I also checked out Elk river and that was the backup plan in case the wind was too much. AbuMasgouf and I got to the ramp around 6am and met up shortly after with Echo5oscar. We launched and the weather initially seemed calm. Once we got out to open water you really started to feel the wind and chop.After a few minutes i was way behind and just decided to turn around and stay within quick peddling distance to shore in case SHTF. Right about when i turned around my left side rod went down hard. At that moment it seemed like so many things were going on at once. I had a fish on but i was trying to keep my bow into the chop and wind.I got her to the yak and it was clearly a keeper.Talk about an adrenalin rush. By this time i hadnt been out more than 20 minutes. Fish was caught on a blue bomber lure that i got from walmart on sale for $2.50.

I can definitaly see some positive points to taking my first outing in these conditions. I wouldnt recommend it for others but it really gave me confidence in my kayak. I dont see myself ever going out in worse than this but if the weather turns when im out on the water i know my outback will do the job. The water looked intimidating but at no point did my outback feel tippy. Also was able to pedal against the current without alot of effort and this is without turbo fins, i couldnt imagine having to paddle in the same conditions.

So overall was a great experience. Am looking forward to going out on calmer days for sure.Learned alot about my kayak and how i wanna outfit it since im completely bone stock right now. I can definitaly say im hooked on kayak fishing in general, it really adds a new level of excitement being so close to the water and the action. Hope to go back out again tomorrow and maybe monday. Heres a short clip of the water conditions, sorry about the aspect ratio i was using my iphone .

fishyak.jpgfish2.jpglure.jpg
        2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great pics fellas! Congrats on the maiden voyage Toyomo. Getting ready to hit the road and see If the flats will bless me as well. I should be packed up and gone by the time you guys arrive...good luck and be safe
          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
            Great pics fellas! Congrats on the maiden voyage Toyomo. Getting ready to hit the road and see If the flats will bless me as well. I should be packed up and gone by the time you guys arrive...good luck and be safe
            Hey Toyomo how about a picture of that blue bomber ?

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
              Hey Toyomo how about a picture of that blue bomber ?
              It should be the last photo in my post. Click the thumbnail to make it bigger.
              2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I've never seen someone cook a rockfish like that (or split it in half) and cook it over an open campfire. Well, outside of a survival tv show anyway.
                How was it? Did it take on the nice wood smoke flavor. It looks like it was pretty delicious.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  I've never seen someone cook a rockfish like that (or split it in half) and cook it over an open campfire. Well, outside of a survival tv show anyway.
                  How was it? Did it take on the nice wood smoke flavor. It looks like it was pretty delicious.
                  It was phenomenal! That's my favorite method to prepare fish because, right in line with your question, it takes on the smokey fire roasted flavor and roasts slow. Mmm can't wait to get another one today! Planning on going in the afternoon around 2pm...winds are supposed to die down starting at 3.
                  -Mustafa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Nice job on the keepers!! It's great that you guys went out despite the wind forecast. If you always stay on land because of what the weather man SAYS, there's no way you'll ever really know what your limits are! Nice way to break in the new yak Tamoyo.

Masgouf'd striper looks like the right way to end the day.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                      It was phenomenal! That's my favorite method to prepare fish because, right in line with your question, it takes on the smokey fire roasted flavor and roasts slow. Mmm can't wait to get another one today! Planning on going in the afternoon around 2pm...winds are supposed to die down starting at 3.
                      Nice. How long to you let it roast like that? I'm somewhat of an amateur bbq guy and I love smoking foods.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                        Nice job on the keepers!! It's great that you guys went out despite the wind forecast. If you always stay on land because of what the weather man SAYS, there's no way you'll ever really know what your limits are! Nice way to break in the new yak Tamoyo.

Masgouf'd striper looks like the right way to end the day.
                        Thanks bro I totally agree! And about the Masgouf.... IT SURE WAS! Best alternative to a SAMWICH!

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                        Nice. How long to you let it roast like that? I'm somewhat of an amateur bbq guy and I love smoking foods.
                        The smaller one (mine LOL) took about hlaf an hour. Toyomo's Larger one took about 45-50 minutes. When you roast it Masgouf style with the head on, it then comes with a "ready indicator".... the eyes start to cloud. Monitor the top eye, when that fully clouds over then you know its time to lay it scale side down on the coals. Keep it there for about 5 minutes, the thicker the fish, the longer you want to keep it there. You'll start to see the fish's juices sizzle, add a couple of minutes and its done. Side note, that's why you keep the scales on, it protects the fish from burning in the final process...

My first Masgouf video on youtube (look-up AbuMasgouf) shows how I go about cutting it this way...

One day I'll do a how-to during a M&G and planning on it for the CBKA
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Good luck today Gentlemen. Goody, Yakkinfish18, and myself hit the flats this morning. Rob (yakkinfish18) brought his son who was riding saddle in front of his daddy. Great moment for all of us seeing the family bonding!

Slow day, my first was a 22" which I kept and my second was an 18" which I gave to Goody. I did manage to hook up with a 38" carp on an xrap....it will take the leaderboard by an inch!!! Goody has some pics and a video I should receive tonight. I will post on the leaderboard thread...I don't want to steal Mustafa's thunder and killer fish roast.
                          2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                          2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                            Good luck today Gentlemen. Goody, Yakkinfish18, and myself hit the flats this morning. Rob (yakkinfish18) brought his son who was riding saddle in front of his daddy. Great moment for all of us seeing the family bonding!

Slow day, my first was a 22" which I kept and my second was an 18" which I gave to Goody. I did manage to hook up with a 38" carp on an xrap....it will take the leaderboard by an inch!!! Goody has some pics and a video I should receive tonight. I will post on the leaderboard thread...I don't want to steal Mustafa's thunder and killer fish roast.
                            Wow, monster carp. I may actually fish the flats for carp sometime. There are massive ones up there.

Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Glad you guys got some keepers on the first outing for Tamoyo. We'll catch up sometime in the future.

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

Working...
                              X