Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jane's Island State Park; 5/31 - 6/2

Gents,

I am strongly considering a kayaking fishing/camping trip this weekend 5/31 - 6/2 down to Jane's Island. Has anyone been down in the last week or so, or planning down too?

As of today, 5/27/13, the current water temp is 66 degrees, and will like be a degree or two warmer by Friday. I've never fished that area and need some input on the best fish to target with live bait, or lures that are readily available (like at Angler's on my way down). I would prefer to target flounder if they are there yet, but I know specs and rock are plentiful there too.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 05-27-2013, 11:35 AM.

Go north out of the canal and fish the cuts. Out going tide in the late afternoon and evening is the equation for success. Flounder and specks will hit the same lure. Try white/chartreuse gulp on an 1/8-1/2 oz jig head worked SLOWLY. Look for current breaks around points adjacent to or including grass, stumps, oyster beds.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Great, thanks Pinch.

Do you recall any particular water depth, or distance to shoreline that is more productive, or should I just go with the cuts and breaks around points and bottom grass/structure as you suggested?

Comment

2-6' usually works out well. If you retrieve too fast you will be swarmed and mauled by small stripers.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
          Gents,

I am strongly considering a kayaking fishing/camping trip this weekend 5/31 - 6/2 down to Jane's Island. Has anyone been down in the last week or so, or planning down too?

As of today, 5/27/13, the current water temp is 66 degrees, and will like be a degree or two warmer by Friday. I've never fished that area and need some input on the best fish to target with live bait, or lures that are readily available (like at Angler's on my way down). I would prefer to target flounder if they are there yet, but I know specs and rock are plentiful there too.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If this was the third weekend I would join you.I am planning on going down then.
          2012 hobie outback
          2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
            Go north out of the canal and fish the cuts. Out going tide in the late afternoon and evening is the equation for success. Flounder and specks will hit the same lure. Try white/chartreuse gulp on an 1/8-1/2 oz jig head worked SLOWLY. Look for current breaks around points adjacent to or including grass, stumps, oyster beds.
            Great advise... I'll just add, sunrise was good for me in that area last weekend... Green/White Spro tipped with 4inch white Gulp fished 12" under a rattle bobber in less then 18" of water. I'll be near there Saturday. Good Luck

Comment

Interesting concept with the bucktail/popping cork. I usually stick to MirrOlures and 3.5 paddle tails (Reaction Innovation's Little Dippers). A catch 5 or MirrOdine would work very well in 18'' of water.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

how are the bugs down there on the water? will you be donating lots of blood?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                  how are the bugs down there on the water? will you be donating lots of blood?
                  black knats were bad

Comment

That's place always have a bug problem.Just remember deep woods off.lol
                    2012 hobie outback
                    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Working...
                    X