Severn River - Jonas Green Park - 05/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River - Jonas Green Park - 05/26

After getting skunked at Rocky Gorge on Saturday evening, I thought I would try the Severn and hopefully catch my first fish out of the kayak. While I have a trolling motor, I have not used it yet and thought paddling would be fine even with some wind. When I arrived at Jonas Green at about 6:45am, the wind was blowing pretty hard. I decided to go anyway and just head into the wind so that I could get back easily. I ended up just anchoring and casting. I caught 1 small striper and a croaker dropshotting gulp minnows. Ill bring the motor next time! The kayak is finally slimed though. I hope to make it out with others now. I felt I needed to learn at least a little of what I was doing before I joined a group. I look forward to learning from you all!

Photo 2013-05-27 04.30.06 PM.jpg

Photo 2013-05-27 04.30.35 PM.jpg

Photo 2013-05-27 04.31.18 PM.jpg
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Nice going. I fished in several Severn creeks over the past week. Each time I picked up a few small (6" to 8") perch by casting in the creeks, and a few rockfish (10" to 18") while trolling between casting locations. The fish are not present in large numbers yet, but with a bit of persistence, you can usually catch something (not necessarily large enough for dinner).

Sunday was not as windy as Sat, but still offered some strong gusts. I fished in sheltered areas in Spa Creek that day and found perch in at least 5 different locations. Launching from the beach at Jonas Green into a stiff breeze and steady 1-2 ft waves is often difficult and wet.

You reported the first Severn croaker I have seen thus far.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice! I tried to paddle up to Weems, but going was slow so I just started to fish near the docks. I'd love to join you sometime soon John. I am off every other Monday and plan on fishing on those mornings.

Comment

How do you like the placement of the rod holders in the front of your Frontier 12? I have yet to use the rod holders. I may have to move the seat in my Frontier or remove the second seat to be able to reach them. I am going to add more mounts as soon as my friend gets around to helping me, so I will have some closer to the middle and back of the kayak.

BTW, nice fish!
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
          How do you like the placement of the rod holders in the front of your Frontier 12? I have yet to use the rod holders. I may have to move the seat in my Frontier or remove the second seat to be able to reach them. I am going to add more mounts as soon as my friend gets around to helping me, so I will have some closer to the middle and back of the kayak.

BTW, nice fish!
          Laura, the rod holders are ok there. I have to come out of my seat onto my knees to get them in and out of that location, and I do remove the second seat when I am solo. I would like some further back. Ill be adding some soon as well. I've been trolling a line out of the rod holder on my crate too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
            Nice! I tried to paddle up to Weems, but going was slow so I just started to fish near the docks. I'd love to join you sometime soon John. I am off every other Monday and plan on fishing on those mornings.
            I am done paddling until the week of June 10 -- meetings this week and a long business trip the following week. I would be happy to fish with you after that. I suspect that the fishing will gradually get better in the Severn with the perch being more abundant then.

I did learn from John Page Williams, chief naturalist of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, that the mainstem of the Severn has already become stratified, meaning that the water below about 20' has low oxygen. He suggests that the planted oyster reefs in water shallower than 20 ft are especially important to the fish. Perch will be readily available along shorelines and 10-15" stripers should be swimming around looking for something to eat.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

i saw on pier and surf that they have been getting decent croakers at jonas green for 2 weeks. its just been kept quiet

Comment

"i saw on pier and surf that they have been getting decent croakers at jonas green for 2 weeks. its just been kept quiet "

Andrew, I fish Jonas Green off the rocks and by Kayak quite a bit. I have looked into the coolers of the bridge crew and find that those guys keep everything! Their idea of decent size is if it gets on their mini hooks if you ask me.

John
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

haha yeah, its sad how some people keep litterally every thing they hook. mostly people who need to feed their familys. its sad . i release all fish unless someone i know wants them because i dont eat fish.

Comment

Working...
                  X