Anacostia River - Bladensburg Park - 05/27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anacostia River - Bladensburg Park - 05/27

After getting my first fish on the 26th, a friend wanted to go find some Snakehead. We tried the Anacostia again and still didn't find any, but enjoyed a beautiful morning. I did hook a really big cat (I think it was a blue) slow trolling a gulp worm right after we launched. He jumped off the hook before I got him into the boat though. After a couple of hours of no action, we tried the bottom rigged chicken breast that I saw MetroMan using at the Wilson bridge (thanks for sharing your tactic!). Sure enough, we pulled up to a bridge and got into a mess of catfish. I didn't keep any of these due to the river I was in, but it was a lot fun catching some of these beasts on light tackle. My lightest rod was set up for dropshot, so I just dropshotted the chicken breast. Of note, I just happened to bring the chicken along because my wife left some out overnight accidentally. We also saw a giant snapping turtle, a beaver, and lots of herons and turtles. Pretty cool in such an urban area!

Yes, one of these fish has no tail!

Photo 2013-05-27 04.32.36 PM.jpg

Photo 2013-05-27 04.32.54 PM.jpg

Photo 2013-05-27 04.33.02 PM.jpg

Photo 2013-05-27 04.33.19 PM.jpg

Photo 2013-05-28 08.24.43 AM.jpg
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator

Nice! For what its worth, that is a surprisingly nice area to kayak, and a great c&r fishery to boot.

As for the chicken breast bait tidbit, I learned that from Rockchaser! This is what makes this site great...
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Thanks for the report. I have been out there 4 times this year targeting snakeheads and keep getting skunked. Had a few blowups but nothing materialized. Unless I am targeting catfish I always have trouble but have managed some bass, bluegill, and stripers from that area of the river. Like Metroman said it is a nice watershed. The river has come a long way and continues to show signs of progress.
      -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by quikdrive View Post
        Thanks for the report. I have been out there 4 times this year targeting snakeheads and keep getting skunked. Had a few blowups but nothing materialized. Unless I am targeting catfish I always have trouble but have managed some bass, bluegill, and stripers from that area of the river. Like Metroman said it is a nice watershed. The river has come a long way and continues to show signs of progress.
        What were you getting the bass with? Looked like there was plenty of downed trees and cover. I was targeting those before we went after the cats.

Comment

If you paddle south from Bladensdurgh park you eventually pass under rt 50 a little further down on the east side of the river is the Kenelworth Aquatic Gardens there is a lot of Lilly pad in this area of the river. Good snakehead habitat. The garden is surrounded by an area of the city that is a very rough area and should be avoided. For the record I have not fished the area but have seen it and it looks promising.
          Ed
          Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Originally posted by Nitefly View Post
            What were you getting the bass with? Looked like there was plenty of downed trees and cover. I was targeting those before we went after the cats.
            I was flyfishing and picking them up on poppers and wolley buggers. The old bulkhead on the east side of the river just as the river starts to narrow has been productive. Also as you go south there are a few creek inlets on the same side that hold fish in the summer. When I was there last time I was talking to the guy that works the tour boat and he was telling me when DNR comes to shock the river they always focus on the west side bank for snakeheads. Last year when I was throwing a clouser minnow I actually had a longnose gar follow the lure all the way back to the boat. Scared the crap out of me but it was neat to see.
            -Neil

Moken 13 Angler Deluxe

Comment

That catfish with no tail is crazy. Seems like he is doing fine without it..

Meadeo
              2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
                That catfish with no tail is crazy. Seems like he is doing fine without it..

Meadeo
                He put up a fight!

Comment

Nitefly: I think I saw you at the launch that day...I told u guys to "go get'em!" as u entered the river. Glad u guys were able to get some pullage.

I was passing through the area and decided to check it out sans kayak. I fished some lures from the.pier and didnt get anything (I was hoping to spot a snakehead or two).

Comment

Originally posted by Financeguru View Post
                    Nitefly: I think I saw you at the launch that day...I told u guys to "go get'em!" as u entered the river. Glad u guys were able to get some pullage.

I was passing through the area and decided to check it out sans kayak. I fished some lures from the.pier and didnt get anything (I was hoping to spot a snakehead or two).
                    Thanks! I'm sure we will run into each other again!

Comment

Working...
                    X