Bushwood 5/27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushwood 5/27

Made my first attempt at fishing Bushwood Cove area of the Wicomico from the kayak. Was seeking croaker. Didn't really know where to go, so searched the 6-12' transition area along the crab pot lines. Didn't get bites or see much on the fishfinder. I am used to shore fishing croaker, so I was a little impatient.
    I headed out to deeper water to observe the other boats, but didn't see much action. There was a pod of about 10 boats out in the channel, but I didn't want to head out there in my 11' sit inside kayak. I worked back to 17-18 feet of water and hooked my first croaker, a nice 13 incher. I setup a slow drift in the 17' water and would catch one every now and then. No real pattern unfortunately. After catching 5, with 4 being kept between 12-15 inches I started heading in. I would cast here and there amongst the crab pots. I caught a nice 25 inche blue cat that gave a nice fight. On my last cast of the day, while slowly jigging the bait back to me, I managed a 14 inch croaker. Only bait I used was cooked peeled shrimp that I bought frozen. The fish I found hit it hard, no nibbling, so I had confidence in the bait. Just couldn't find the schools. Any tips on better areas to try there?? Managed 1.75 lbs of fillets, so the 5 fish were pretty thick!
    Green Old Town Loon 111
    Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Thanks for the report, Croaker are hard biters and fighters for their size. I don't know anything about the area, so couldnt point to any better spots, but sounds like you did alright.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the report! What kind of set-up did you have your shrimp on?
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

high-low rig works well and pretty sure that it is the most common set-up.
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

bushwood is probably my favorite spot to fish croaker/cat, i usually leave the pier and head left towards i think mark 5, or 6. look up comeonfish thread from last year, it will help.

Comment

Working...
          X