Downs Park Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downs Park Report

I launched at Downs Park today and fished the area in front of the park from noon until 2:00 pm on an outgoing tide.

I caught only 2 eight inch white perch and unfortunately I hooked up with 4 skates.

The perch hit curly tail chartreuse grub spinners on 1/8 oz. jigs. The skates each broke me off near the boat and splashed me to add insult to injury. They took two crank baits, a jig spinner rig and the last one straightened the hook on one of my jig spinners.

I foul-hooked the first skate near the tail and it took me 10 minutes to get it close to the boat. I was just about to get my crank bait when the skate broke away taking the lure with him.

Each of the skates hit near the osprey nest for those of you familiar with the park. The perch were in open water, not near structure. I found none schooling.

The wind was strong from the southeast and created white caps. I had no place to hide from it so I gave up after two hours.

Mark
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Perch are schooling in the creeks as the water is warmer right now back there. Downs park and that whole shoreline down to gibson island wont turn on for another few days/weeks pending how warm the water gets.

But that entire shore line is a great place to fish, ive pulled some 13-15 inch white perch outa there over the years.

My mom usually wins the annual white perch tourney out there with me and my dad every year haha. Go figure. Fishes once a year and has won the tourney 3 times.
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Zach,

Thank you.

I look forward to it warming up. (I hope that means the rays depart.)

It's a nice place for kayakers if the wind is favorable.

Mark
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Its about a mile or farther paddle down to the gibson island gate house, but from then on down is perch and rock fish haven. all those rock jetties are killing for spinner baits and poppers.
        Zach Moore
        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
        Bait Towel Pro Staff
        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
        X