Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Susquehanna River 5/31-6/2

This was a weekend full of fishing.

I fished the flats out of Tydings on Friday 5/31 from 5-830. Not much going on util 7 rolled around then the Stripers picked up. Caught 10 around this time with most being 15-17" and a 18, 19 and 24. Kept the 19 since it was the first in my boat. Was out in the middle around a few boats just doing laps around them, it seemed slow for them All caught really shallow 6-8' on blue sardine xrap (was running 2)

Saturday 6/1 I met Sparky1432 and YakkinFish18 for the morning. A couple new guys joined us, Darwyn and NewFish. Fished from about 6-11 with only a few dinks between us. Covered a lot of ground but the bite was slow. Water was about 75 and they may be leaving.

Sunday 6/2 YakkinFish18 and myself launched out of Lapidum in hopes of the Striper bite being better. Water was a few degrees cooler and more oxygenated. Landed a few 14-15" right off the bat then it slowed. Before calling it quits I decided to hit the middle, south of the first island and landed a 23". The smalls were caught on a bright yellow Xrap and the bigger guy on a Glass Ghost xrap. The Striper fishing is definitely slowing down on the Susky,

Also- Rob and I ran into an capsized Kayak in the middle of the river today. A small sit (10') in that was anchored in the fast current. A boat came over and helped us overturn it since it was filled with water. Only thing that was left was a pair of shoes and some tackle. It was anchored to the side which probably flipped it! The kayak didn't have any algae on it hadn't been in the water long, maybe a day or 2. Called it into DNR police and met them at the ramp. They didn't have any report of a missing kayak so hopefully the occupant made it to shore and just never called DNR. Please call if you have to ditch your kayak.

It was a small sitin, maybe 10'. Red, white and blue. Not sure who makes it. It did have some fishing tackle still in it and a rod holder so could be a possible member. Boat found here https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.60...num=1&t=h&z=16 Kinda scary, stay safe out there people!

I'll get some pictures and videos up later but for now I'm beat!
    Last edited by DaveFX35; 06-02-2013, 01:38 PM.
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Man that was freaky n hope the person is ok. The anchor line looked like only 15ft long n tied of in the center of yak. Seeing the yak upside down n barely showing below the water line. Scary situation
    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
    2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
    Rob

Comment

Man that is scary. Thanks for the report gents and good advice about calling these types of things in.
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Must have been really eerie coming up on that yak...hope whoever lost the yak is ok.
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

It was creepy flipping it and the possibility of seeing the worse. DNR took our info so hopefully they'll let us know the outcome.
          Dave
          2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Wow. It can be dangerous there at Lapidum if you decide to anchor up because of the current. Also, there are a lot of rocks down there that can swallow your anchor, so when you try to pull it free it won't come. Then you may flip yourself trying. I hope they are ok. That would be a tough situation to get out of if you fell in there. I hope they had a vest on. Thanks for checking it out. We all have to look out for each other out there.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              Wow. It can be dangerous there at Lapidum if you decide to anchor up because of the current. Also, there are a lot of rocks down there that can swallow your anchor, so when you try to pull it free it won't come. Then you may flip yourself trying. I hope they are ok. That would be a tough situation to get out of if you fell in there. I hope they had a vest on. Thanks for checking it out. We all have to look out for each other out there.
              I lost an anchor there a few weeks ago wedged inbetween rocks. Wasn't worth trying to pull it out and risk flipping. Not sure if they thought the kayak was worth leaving but I would have done everything in my power to try to get my kayak to shore or at least find a boater willing to help. The fact that it was left anchored doesn't sit well with me. I'll post an update if I hear from DNR.
              Dave
              2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

This has got me thinking. Back at the jamboree we rode down to Lapidum to do some shore fishing. There were a couple of kayaks anchored a good way below the ramp. I took it that they were someone from the tournament. When I saw them paddling in went down to talk and found two, non tournament, local guys in sit yaks. Talked to one of them and he was telling me how he fell in in March of the previous year without a PFD and had blacked out and had to be pulled in by his friends. Actually talked with him a bit about anchoring in the current. Did say he always wore a PFD now. His kayak was green but I do believe that the other guys my have been the colors you describe. I can't be sure as he was still coming in and I really didn't pay a lot of attention but do seem to remember red white and blue. Hopefully if it was him his buddy was with him and they both had jackets.

Comment

Working...
                X