Susquehanna LMB Kayak fishing - 06/02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna LMB Kayak fishing - 06/02

This morning was my second outing since I bought my kayak, first time in the river. Seemed more calm than usual, so I felt more confident.

Launched around 6:45 at the Perryville Community Boat Launch just North of the Hatem Bridge. Goal was to paddle south to hit the boat docks south of the bridge. Caught a small LMB (8-9 inches) on the first cast of the day 30 feet from the launch on a shallow white/red eye crankbait. Threw a few more casts and moved on.

Paddled down to the docks and the wind started to pick up. Started to head back towards the launch around 7:40 and saw a floater (Pic 20130602_075329) on the first point just south of the bridge. Paddled over to it and saw it was a nice-sized striper (biggest I've seen in person since I moved here). It seemed to have bitten off more than it could chew.

After that, I headed back towards the bridge and the wind had died down a little. I decided to coast the shoreline from the bridge to the launch and let the current pull me. I tied on a medium/deep crawfish crankbait and started throwing at the large rock under the bridge. A few casts in I realized I was on a grassbed, so I backed out into a little deeper water and started ripping it through the grass. First LMB (Pic 20130602_081215 and 20130602_081222) hit my crankbait about 5 feet from my kayak, about 8:12am. I didn't even notice, very subtle. The crawfish crankbait was a lucky choice. His lips were red from eating crawfish (some blood from hooking him).

After 1 cycle of drifting to the launch and paddling back up to the large rock, I caught number 2 (Pic 20130602_083610) at 8:40am. Again, on the crawfish crankbait. He wasn't so subtle and put up a good fight.

After that, it slowed down and 2 or 3 bass boats joined me on that shoreline. I threw a spinnerbait and chatterbait for a while, then decided around 10am it was time to go play in the pool with my daughter. I probably could have fished for a few more hours, but I wanted to leave on a high note.

Good day overall:
    1st LMB of 2013
    1st LMB in Maryland
    1st fish caught in Kayak
    Attached Files

Nice job Aaron, welcome to Maryland! I live close to the susky and have been targeting Rockfish on the flats...but that's close to an end. Nice bass, my first ever was on a crawfish crankbait sneaking into a golf course pond...did not even have a driver's license yet. Now I sneak my kids to the same pond. From that day on, I always have a crawfish crank in my tackle box.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice catches. The one with the striper is crazy. How big do you think it was?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
        Nice catches. The one with the striper is crazy. How big do you think it was?
        He was a keeper I would guess. I briefly pulled him into my boat to take a better picture before I realized how bad he smelled. He stretched all the way across the boat, which is 31", and then some. I couldn't figure out what he was trying to eat. Wasn't a white perch or LMB....croaker?!?

Comment

It was probably a shad or herring.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

Working...