Jonas Green on the Severn 6/2/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green on the Severn 6/2/2013

SurfDog, Mustafa and myself met up at Jonas Green for a 7:30am launch. The winds were fine on this part of the river. We launched and head north while trolling different lures. Not a single bite as we made our way towards the mouth of the river. As we got beyond the protection of land, with winds and chop were strong. SurfDog said that he felt like a washing machine, so we cancelled trolling since it was not productive and head back to the Jonas area. We jigged the rock pile with metal and still no bites. It was slow regardless. SurfDog called it quits without a fish being caught. Mustafa and continued fishing for several more hours until we located some fish. We ended up catching small perch, stripers and croakers....nothing big. Everything averaged 6 to 8 inches. We even went into the creek closest to Jonas up river. In there Mustafa caught one micro perch. I ended up keeping two big perch 10 and 12 inches that I got in 4 to 5 feet of water between some broken pilings. We caught a lot of 6 to 8 inch croaker in the deep channel. As for crabbing in the Severn, I think it is 2 to 3 weeks away from making it worth your while. I spoke to a commercial crabber and two recs, and the were not really catching. One rec caught two keeper crabs all morning. The commercial would only have 2 possible keeper crabs per run. So the Severn is still slow.

Did you guys keep any fish?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I kept the two keeper fish that I reported. A 10 and 12 inch perch.

Comment

Yup it was a slow day but the weather was pleasant. Like Martin said, we caught a descent amount of fish but only two keeper size.

We had most of our hits come on white 3" gulp alive mullet on a 1/16th jig with beetle spin arm. I had a few good sets on a 1/16th roadrunner in white grub with the tentacles tale (don't know what it's called). Both casting/retrieving and jigging were productive but it seemed that doing both really slowly had better results. I also drift trolled the roadrunner and hooked up with a few baby stripers around the piers.

No take home fish for me that day but hopefully things will pick up.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
        X