Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broomes Island - Patuxent 6/1

Thought I try my first report. Be kind.

Me and the wife launched out of Nan's Cove on the Patuxent. There is no beach. It is a floating dock/launch. Actually a little bit of a pain in the @ss. It's a tight turn onto the ramp to get down to the launch and not a lot of room down there. We were alright but have fairly light 12' kayaks. I don't believe any big Hobies are getting down there. I'll attach a couple of pictures to give a better idea of the situation.

On to the fishing. The wind was pretty nasty, lot of whitecaps, and was tempted to just give it up a few times. Always a gale anytime I go out it seems. Really wanted to play with my new FF and decided to hang it out. I had marked an oyster bar in 12' or so of water and keyed it in to the FF. Managed to get out to it and started jigging some twister tails. We were drifting something fierce with the wind. Managed a 11" croaker on the second cast. Had a small blue that I missed hit on a 4" paddle tail being trolled. The situation ended up being paddle out to the bar catch a couple fish on the drift and then paddle back out again. Most of the bites and fish seemed to come where the depth dropped from about 10' to 5'. Wife had a doubler of small white perch on her double twister tail rig. For her more small white perch and croaker, a small rock and I believe she also had a blue hit a trolling paddltail. She also got another croaker about 12" The bite was pretty good and I believe if the wind would have cooperated we might have had a pretty good day. The drift was so fast it was hard to hold bottom and I was getting a lot of missed bites.

Then the drama. Was trying to answer the call of nature while on my kayak, no not a number 2, managed my first turtle. Water was pleasantly warm actually. Not so pleasant losing a rod/reel and dunking my new $50 electronic cigarette. Another rod was in the water but managed to pull it up by the line tangled on my kayak. Had ruined my cell phone earlier by not paying attention to my hatch. Paddling in I was thinking these 2 damn croaker really cost me but will make a nice dinner then noticed after keeping them thru the dunk I had managed to lose my stringer on the way back in. Quite the day.

Overall hell of a fun day and I love this kayak fishing stuff. Have't seen the place mentioned on here and thought someone might like the information. Lot of oyster bars there and some nice drop offs. Restaurant around the tip of the island and a marina close by. If you want to fish closer to the point or around the other side the marina charges $6 and it would cut a bit a paddling.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DonV; 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM.

Thanks for that report. Sorry for the mishaps you had.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Very informative report. Sorry for the unplanned adventure!

Quick question, could you describe what an oyster bed looks like on a FF? I'm still new to reading the images. Thanks!
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
        Very informative report. Sorry for the unplanned adventure!

Quick question, could you describe what an oyster bed looks like on a FF? I'm still new to reading the images. Thanks!
        Just a bunch of dark small jagged hills. I have a Lowrance Mark 4 and it is just black and white. It's all new to me also, first trip with it, but am pretty sure that I could tell a bed now. I'm positive I was over the bed and now hope I know what to look for. Definite big change in the bottom display on the finder when I got out over the bed.

I had pulled the coordinates from the EarthNC web chart, plugged them into Google Earth, exported them, a conversion with GPSBabel to the lowrance file format then copied them to as Micro SD card and loaded it into the finder. Just did a Goto in the FF and it guided me to the bed. Not as hard as it sounds after figuring out the procedure.

Think I'm going to like the finder, just the ability to pull coordinates of somewhere I want to fish off a chart and plug them in is worth the price.

The EarthNC chart shows 3 beds down there, Navoinics web app only one. Plenty of beds to fish over and some nice edges also.

I think I may have a screen capture on the finder and will play with it some more and if possible post a picture.

Comment

Sounds like a memorable trip! Glad you still had a good time, that's what it is all about. I have used those launchers before at slavins and mallows, I'll never understand MD for thinking they help anyone!!!
          Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            Sounds like a memorable trip! Glad you still had a good time, that's what it is all about. I have used those launchers before at slavins and mallows, I'll never understand MD for thinking they help anyone!!!
            The launch was bad enough but the corner you have to cut to get down to it is ridiculous. Lifting the kayak over the rail of the launch ain't fun either.

Comment

regardless of the oddness of these kayak launches, they might save our access to some good spots. Since we are being shut out of the beach at cColton's point, I think this type of set up may be out only hope of easy access to St Clements Island
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
              X