Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Janes Island review, 5/31 - 6/2 Assateague Sunday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janes Island review, 5/31 - 6/2 Assateague Sunday.

Being a little skiddish about all the warnings on insects, my brother and I opted for a camp cabin (electric, window a/c & ceiling fan but no indoor plumbing $60 a nite sleeps three comfortably) and that was a VERY wise decision. The deer flies were nature's equivalent of the Northrup Grumman F - 18, only faster and more lethal; they were unwaveringly relentless walking from the car to the cabin, a distance of about 40 yards. 99% deet helped a bit, but not much. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the wind of 15 - 35 mph steady all three days (evenings were okay between about 6:00 - 9:00 pm, as were early mornings 5 - 8:00 a.m.) kept the mosquitoes pretty much at bay.

Other than the wind and the deer flies (deer flies I am told stop in mid-late July), it was a very fun weekend, although unsuccessful from a fishing standpoint. I jigged the cuts with 1/8th to 1/2 green gulps, looking for structure as Pinch suggested. I tried it for a good two hours friday evening, and then again Sat. a.m. I also tried bottom fishing with cut bunker, still nothing. By Sat. afternoon we relented and went crabbing; caught just two keepers from the pier in probably 90 minutes, entertaining but not enough to be edible. BTW, there were oysters to be had (not now but during the season) by just plucking them off the pilings and rocks anywhere in the canal. I guess it's legal, maybe not.

There was a boat fishing group (a trailered 25; Carolina Skiff) next door, and they had no luck either; they said it was unusual there wasn't much to be caught yet, and blamed it on the wind/ and or Hurricane Sandy which did quite a number to the area, and especially Crisfield. They are still rebuilding the city pier at the end of Crisfield Parkway. I am told that Crisfield is now the poorest town in the poorest county in the state; it's sad to see a once bustling and proud fishing town die a slow death. Between rising sea levels, and the the Bay oyster fishery on life support, there is nothing left for Crisfield.

All that said, there was a boat that came in at the launch ramp when we finished up crabbing Sat afternoon with a black drum of about 36 inches. It was caught on the bottom with a quarter of a peeler. I still think peelers are the best bait in the Bay bar none for just about anything. Fish are like us; they love crab too! I will try to post a shot of the black drum later.

By Sunday morning I had had enough of the F-18's buzzing and biting, and made my way to Assateague Island for a combination beach/surf fishing day. Talk about wind! Must have been steady at 30 - 40 mph. I fished cut bunker pretty hard on two rods (one bottom, the other bobbing the cut off head of an alewive) for the better part of three hours. Casting into the wind was a tough, so I finally gave up on the bobbing bunker head rig and used my best rod for 5 ounce hi lo cut w/ bunker on the bottom. It was all the weight I had, and not enough. I had a bite or two, but landed nothing.

A very fun weekend nonetheless!
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM.

Thanks for the report... I'm a long time veteran of Maryland's Assateague Island... but that's mostly from my surfing days. The offroad area is incredibly awesome... a little busy peak season.
    Here's a link to a small handful of pic's on a link to one of my webpages... http://www.atlanticbreezes.com/assat...andoffroad.htm

As a tradition... I used to paddle a canoe across the Ocean City Inlet (from "Stinky Beach") in July ever year and camped out on the most northern end... surprising I never capsized with my dog and all my supplies with commercial fishing trawlers going past and I am sure never saw me.

....deer flies were nature's equivalent of the Northrup Grumman F - 18........
    Unfortunately they are always around... and return with the Westie's (trade winds in the late summer early fall) late in the season.

You forgot to notice the mosquitoes...

I was camping one time with a girl I met from France down there.... and we saw a heard of mosquitoes trying and carry away a small dog.
    Luckily the owners had her leashed to the picknic bench.

But your best bets are to plan the trip for east winds of any sort... A dry northeaster is best (high pressure off the coast) to avoid bugs.

There is a bunch of flounder in the back bays behind Assateague Island Maryland side... south of the Ocean City Inlet Bridge.
    You'll have to look for deep channels... for your best bets. But as most people know... you can pretty much walk across
    most of the back bays.

I have a link here to another website you can check fishing reports in that area...
    http://www.atlanticbreezes.com/ocmdfishing/
    This is one of my websites... I hope you may find them helpful or informative...

Rob-kayak

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
      Thanks for the report... I'm a long time veteran of Maryland's Assateague Island... but that's mostly from my surfing days. The offroad area is incredibly awesome... a little busy peak season.
      Here's a link to a small handful of pic's on a link to one of my webpages... http://www.atlanticbreezes.com/assat...andoffroad.htm

As a tradition... I used to paddle a canoe across the Ocean City Inlet (from "Stinky Beach") in July ever year and camped out on the most northern end... surprising I never capsized with my dog and all my supplies with commercial fishing trawlers going past and I am sure never saw me.

Unfortunately they are always around... and return with the Westie's (trade winds in the late summer early fall) late in the season.

You forgot to notice the mosquitoes...

I was camping one time with a girl I met from France down there.... and we saw a heard of mosquitoes trying and carry away a small dog.
      Luckily the owners had her leashed to the picknic bench.

But your best bets are to plan the trip for east winds of any sort... A dry northeaster is best (high pressure off the coast) to avoid bugs.

There is a bunch of flounder in the back bays behind Assateague Island Maryland side... south of the Ocean City Inlet Bridge.
      You'll have to look for deep channels... for your best bets. But as most people know... you can pretty much walk across
      most of the back bays.

I have a link here to another website you can check fishing reports in that area...
      http://www.atlanticbreezes.com/ocmdfishing/
      This is one of my websites... I hope you may find them helpful or informative...

Rob-kayak

Thanks Rob! I will check out those sites the next time I head out to Assateague. Between the ocean, the ponies, variety of plants, birds, and the unique landscape, I think Assateague is a winner. If you're with folks who like going into town, O.C., Rehobeth, Bethany is doable for an evenings entertainment, or to visit w/ friends at the shore. Assateague does not have the cabin option though, so this geezer will just have to rough it again. I am fine as long as hot showers are walkable, which is the case in the Maryland state portion of the park (cold showers only in the National Park portion I hear). I've read on this site that the ocean side is best for camping with an ocean breeze; again to keep the horse flies and mosquitoes somewhat under control.

My brother has lived in Salisbury for over 30 years and visits Janes Island every couple of years or so to crab and bird watch. He says it is best on a warm Indian summer day(s) after the first hard frost, @ late October/early November. I am not sure why, but he says the deer fly hatch/war of aggression is over by end of July.

Comment

Here is the black drum caught by a boater at Janes Island on Saturday (not by me). Bottom fished w/ peeler crab. Best shot I could get. It was all the kid could do to hold him up.

IMG-20130601-00099.jpg

Comment

Fished on the north end of Jane's island on Saturday morning 5am till 730am... Wind was fishable barely but we managed a few specks and two keeper rock ....definatly not as good fishing as last few weeks..... Will be out there tonight if the wind stops and Saturday and Sunday ..
          .. IMAG0227.jpg

Comment

Good job, I am glad someone caught fish down there that weekend.

Comment

i'll give it a try in the morning a little further south... looks like this storm will pass tonight

Comment

Good luck, and keep us posted,

Comment

Working...
                X