6/2 So you wanna catch a snakehead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/2 So you wanna catch a snakehead...

This past Sunday a few friends and I decided to give Mattawoman creek another go at catching a snakehead. We had taken a trip there this April which resulted in some nice largemouth but none of the target species. Instead of slavins launch we opted for the kayak launch up at the headwaters of the creek. We hadn’t checked tides before leaving so the low water levels when we got there resulted in a bit of dragging over logs and such until we got to deeper water. WOW! What a spot. Not sure if it was the approaching storm front or just the right day but the fishing was on fire. I caught at least a dozen LM bass- several around 4+ lbs and two big catfish. Sometime around early afternoon I hooked into my first snakehead. He slammed the chatterbait, and then proceeded to leap a good 5 feet out of the water, effortlessly throwing my lure out of his mouth, while flipping me the finger. After a good deal of cursing and possibly some tears, I pulled myself together and kept at it. A few more unsuccessful hits, with some nice healthy LM thrown in for good measure-and then finally by late afternoon I managed to pull one out of the water (see photo)

As far as targeting these fish, a couple of things I learned. First, the fish like to hang in the skinniest of water. We heard them splashing around most of the day- often in thick weeds and vegetation right along the bank. You couldn’t imagine a fish even getting into some of these areas much less casting up into there. So my thinking is there are two ways you can go, one is to rig up something ultra weedproof that you can pull through the lillypads and such (like frogs etc.) my only problem in this approach was that I found it difficult to get a good hookset. Lots of hits but few hookups. The other approach is to find pockets of open water close to the edges and throw chatterbaits or other reaction strike lure in as close as possible. This paid off for me on this particular day.

Other things to consider:
    Bring a landing net! These fish are extremely tenacious. Just because you’ve hooked one and brought it into the boat don’t expect it to end there. Getting the fish on board has just pissed him off and now he wants to kick your @ss. One friend fishing on Sunday put lots of time into targeting them in the lillypads, finally getting one into the boat, once there, the slimy devil promptly did the alligator roll to get unhooked, got himself under the kayak seat and then somersaulted himself back into the water. I suggest netting the fish-leave the hook in (and hope it doesn’t get caught in the net) then go ahead and hook him into a stringer tied securely to your boat. Then you can unhook the fish and dispatch as required. Expect lots of thrashing around with you getting covered in slime and blood. At some point in all of this I did find myself asking why I chose to target this monster in the first place.

Good luck- hope this helps if you’re looking to wrestle with a snakehead.
    -John
    Attached Files
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Man....I feel like I'm right there with you fishing for those SH. Got me all pumped up. Glad you got into some SH. Nice fishing report.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Is this your first snakehead? I just got my first this past weekend as well and man do they fight...Nice report and advice.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I have heard of folks trying to cut the gills of a snakehead and/or trying to cut the head off, soon after catch. I have seen quite a bloody mess in kayaks and on kayakers. A friend of mine says that if you splash some vodka on or into the gills of a snakehead, it will calm the fish down. So at the Mattawoman meet and greet, I am going to take a cheap 1/2 pint with me. For the snakeheads, not for me. I am more of a beer guy during the summer.

Comment

Thanks for the very detailed report and congrats on the S/H. I guess I was pretty lucky with my first and only S/H, caught a couple months ago. She was relatively calm. I was able to get my fish grips on her without much of a tussle and then cut the gills out. When I threw her in the cooler, she bumped around in there quite a bit, but she wasn't going anywhere at that point. 5 hours after cutting the gill arches, I cleaned her and she was still alive! I guess cutting the gills doesn't really do much?
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice report John...I hope to wrestle a snakehead this weekend, but not getting my hopes up. What were all your bass hitting on? Chatter and frog?
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice report. Thanks for sharing your info.

Typically i paddle to shore with the snake head in my net them hit it with a billy club a few times.. Not the most politically correct way to handle them out there but it keeps me from being covered in slime and blood and it makes it easy to ice em down in my cooler. I have had one literally thrash so hard it jumped out of a closed cooler.. Insult to injury on it's reentry it soaked me down...

Meadeo
              2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Nice report and nice tips...SH is definitely on my list of fish to catch this summer especially hearing reports like this about how hard they fight added to what ive heard about their taste.

Meadeo: That is pretty funny about the cooler I literally lol'd about that image although im sure you weren't as amused when it happened!
                2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Meadeo- good idea about doing the dirty work on shore. I hadn't thought of that one. Dogfish-things might get a little out of hand if I start bringing vodka on board. I can see me explaining that to my wife...its for the fish, no really! I wonder does this maybe impart some flavor to the fish in the end...vodka marinated snakehead. Joking aside, I could see where it might do just what you want.

As far as what the bass were hitting. Pretty much everything. I caught a few on towater frogs, and then after missing a bunch with poor hooksets, I switched to just the chatterbait. My first time actually using one. A great lure-I kinda pause,rip,pause,rip - I caught most of my bass on this, as well as the two catfish and snakehead.

Anyone know about DNR's "bounty" for catching one in MD?
                  John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice post and tips John. Gotta get one of those snakeheads. Curious as to what # test line u recommend for them or braid? Usually fish frogs and senkos. What size/color chatter bait u recommend. Thx
                    Hobie Revo 13' Tangerine
                    CCA- NoVa
                    Lifetime Fisherman

Comment

I used 20lb. Braid with 20lb. Fluoro leader, mainly due to the thick weeds and lillypads. As far as colors I think you can throw just about anything, if you get it in the right spot you're good to go. Most of my luck was with white.
                      John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great John-thanks. Figured my normal 10# test for bass wouldn't hold up with them SHs
                        Hobie Revo 13' Tangerine
                        CCA- NoVa
                        Lifetime Fisherman

Comment

Nice Job!
                          2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                            Anyone know about DNR's "bounty" for catching one in MD?
                            It's my understanding that the bounty is actually more of a drawing. Snag a Snakehead, send the report in to the dnr to enter into a drawing for a gift card from BassPro. I think another winner gets a special MD park pass, which gets you free entry into parks, and use of ramps in the state for a year.

You may want to double check me on this.

Comment

Working...
                            X