Weems Creek Report 6/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek Report 6/5

I spent 3 hours on Weems and part of the Severn today.
    Not trying to fish seriously, just wanted to get out with the electric canoe. A "fishing break" from the charter boat.
    I had a couple of surprises, today.
    The first fish I caught, within spitting distance of the Tucker Street Ramp was a 7" Croaker. Hit like a ton of bricks, thought that I hooked a "bubba" perch!
    Never knew that they'd come up the Creek, although they are hammering them at Jonas Green.
    I caught several nice White Perch, some on a 1/8 oz. Spinner Jig-green chartreuse, and a couple on a 1/8 curly tail jig, also chartreuse. The biggest was about 10", most were around 6". All released.
    The summer patterns are starting to take place.
    The fish were scattered, some near or under the docks, some along the weed lines near rip rap and bulkheads.
    4 feet of water at very low tide seemed to be the ticket. The water clarity wasn't very good, about 1 foot, and a little bit better on the main stem of the Severn.
    As reported earlier, there is a lot of floating grass on the surface, and it seems that the weed beds have grown pretty thick. If you are using lures, anything with trebles is going to harvest a lot of salad.
    My final surprise was as I was heading back, within 100 yards of the ramp, I spotted a ray about 3 feet across the wing tips headed upstream.
    I did not see any schools of baitfish today.

I guess my presumed ray spotting in Weems last Sat was accurate. Congratulations on your successful fishing in Weems -- I have not had much success there yet this summer.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Roy and I were fishing Weems Creek Sunday and we both snagged rays in the creek. This picture is after I was pulled about a third of the way across the creek and before I cut the line. Other than the rays we caught a few perch with the biggest being 11 1/2 inches caught by Roy at the Rt 50 Bridge. Hearing that there are Croaker around sounds very encouraging!

Weems 060213 B.jpg
      WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

Working...
      X