Triadelphia Walleye Again and Other Species After Work - 6/5/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triadelphia Walleye Again and Other Species After Work - 6/5/13

Great conditions outside so my son and I hit Triadelphia after work this evening. Within 30 minutes I had caught another small walleye (but it didn't like staying on the hog trough so no photo), a white perch, and two crappies. Jr. had gotten nothing yet, so I gave him the bottom bouncer to use and he witnessed the magic first hand.

Jr. went on to catch 11 fish, mostly crappies. Nothing was big. Most fish were around 8-10 inches. Most fish were in 8-12 feet of water. The walleye was 8 feet down and he was just shy of 10 inches long.

Water conditions were very clear. Visibility was at least 7 or 8 feet down. Water temperature 76 degrees.

Once the sun went down behind the trees, I put on a buzz bait and lost a bass near some rocky structure. It was on for about 6 seconds, then jumped and was gone.

Also had the pleasure of talking to a WSSC police guy at the ramp as we were loading up. He was checking permits and we were good. We talked about the 15 year old kid that drowned on Memorial Day weekend at Rocky Gorge and chatted about fishing. He said the walleye catch was unusual. It was interesting that he was against all the new regulations. He thought it was absurd that people need to get permits to picnic, hike, or essentially be on WSSC property now at the reservoirs.

Here's a few photos.

Walleyes that are 9" - 10" would have been born last spring. I wonder if your sudden success with them means that the 2012 produced a strong year class for the Walleye fishery on Tridelphia? By the end of this season they should be pushing 14" and next season 17" - 18".

I take it you are still running skunk free at Tridelphia?
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Hi Dave,

Yes, I'm still skunk free in 2012 and 2013 at Triadelphia! I can catch white perch, yellow perch, and crappies pretty easily if I get desperate now that I figured out a method and lure combination.

I have a feeling that the small walleyes and stripers I've caught at Triadelphia are the result of stocking. The internet research I've done MD DNR indicates that they think natural reproduction of walleyes and stripers at the WSSC reservoirs is limited or not existant. Hopefully I'm wrong and the fish are naturally getting busy and doing their thing. The white perch and crappies sure are multiplying at Triadelphia.

As far as bass fishing at Triadelphia, it is hit or miss for me. I've found a few areas and patterns that sometimes result in bass, but I feel fortunate to catch a largemouth or smallmouth on any trip. It is so much easier to catch tidal Potomac largemouth or upper Potomac smallies.

The top end of Rocky Gorge is a mystery to me. I don't even mark fish on my sonar unit there. But as you showed, the bass are there and hungry. So I need to get some new techniques down. The water clarity at the top end of the reservoirs is stained right now and it throws me off my game for sure. Right now the bottom ends of the reservoirs are exceptionally clear. There was 7-8 foot of visibility.

Last night after handing the bottom bouncer rig over to my son, I focused on catching bass. I spent most of my time throwing a 7 inch, black, ribbon tail worm at any fallen tree I could find. I rigged the worm on a Confidence Baits Draggin' Head hook to make it snagless. I fished this method for maybe 1.5 hours and had zero bass strikes. I then switched over to a buzz bait once the sun went behind the trees and got one strike, but did not land the bass.

Comment

Have you ever tried to drop shot there? With clear water like that a drop shot might be the ticket.

or even slow moving crank baits.

clear water the fish hold deeper. regardless of the temp.
        Ive seen lots of times murky water will hold bass true to their trees and bushes. with clear water once feeding it over its back down deep
        Zach Moore
        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
        Bait Towel Pro Staff
        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
        X