Patapsco Ponds (Hollins Ferry) 6/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco Ponds (Hollins Ferry) 6/6

Fished one of the ponds off Hollins Ferry Rd. yesterday from 4-8pm. Maybe 2 inches of visibilty and lots of cottonwood fluff made things a little tough. Fish were jumping everywhere but I couldn't find anything to put them in the boat. Fished a frog, horny toad, chatterbait, and weightless and texas riggged senkos for 4 bites and 3 bass to 16 inches landed. All 3 bass came from working the t-rigged senko slowly along wood. Hopefully the water clears up.

Chimo

I fish this ponds on the reg. It has been VERY clear latley, and I can ONLY catch bass in there with a texas rigged worm. I used to get them with cranks and spinner baits. Not this year, not even drop shot.

Everything busting around you is rock fish and massive carp busting bugs. Theres 30-40lb carp in there.. about 400 of them haha
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Are these the ponds you are talking about?
      https://maps.google.com/maps?q=patap...ius=15000&z=16
      If so where do you park and put in at? I'd like to give it a go sometime. If you zoom in on the large pond on google maps you can see someone in a kayak.
      BRETT
      Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Originally posted by bgriff View Post
        Are these the ponds you are talking about?
        https://maps.google.com/maps?q=patap...ius=15000&z=16
        If so where do you park and put in at? I'd like to give it a go sometime. If you zoom in on the large pond on google maps you can see someone in a kayak.
        I generally park next to the railroad tracks by the Maryland food bank or further up the street in front of one of the vacant buildings. Been warned by one of the building managers not to park in the occupied area or block access from the truckers. From there you go through the gate and under 895. I generally launch under the power lines into the larger pond.

Bassmoore, do you mean the belle grove ponds? They were clear the last time I was there but Hollins ferry was anything but. And yes there are plenty of big carp in both of them!

Comment

Thanks for the report, might have to give that place a try sometime since its only about 10-15 minutes from my house. Maybe I'll wait until we have a span of time w/out rain.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
            I generally park next to the railroad tracks by the Maryland food bank or further up the street in front of one of the vacant buildings. Been warned by one of the building managers not to park in the occupied area or block access from the truckers. From there you go through the gate and under 895. I generally launch under the power lines into the larger pond.

Bassmoore, do you mean the belle grove ponds? They were clear the last time I was there but Hollins ferry was anything but. And yes there are plenty of big carp in both of them!
            Thanks for the info. I'm going to get up there sometime soon. I fished the Severn today, but since I don't have a fish finder yet and I'm not a big fan of live bait, I pretty much just dragged lures around for a few hours. I think I might have a little better luck with freshwater ponds casting to the shoreline.
            BRETT
            Red/Yellow COBRA Navigator

Comment

Originally posted by bgriff View Post
              Are these the ponds you are talking about? If you zoom in on the large pond on google maps you can see someone in a kayak.
              ...and I think he's got a nice fish on too. I've never launched a canoe/kayak on these ponds. It's probably been 10 years since I last walked/biked my way around the big pond at the end of Halethorpe Farms Road. I'd park my car in a safe discrete place in the industrial complex then ride my mountain bike down to the pond. Theres a decent bike path and power line road that goes around the Lake. I've fished it a number of times from shore, but the marshy shoreline can make fishing difficult. I never did all that well. As I remember the pond, it would be a place the snakeheads would love to pieces.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I went carp fishing there a few years ago w/ a guy I met on the boards (Tommy Robinson) at the time, he warned me that it wasn't wise to go back there alone. Someone he knew got robbed at gunpoint. But...we slayed the carp.

Comment

Working...
                X