06/15/2013 Colbourne Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06/15/2013 Colbourne Creek

The weather was beautiful for Saturday on the eastern shore. Many times when I made the long drive out there, I got blown out, but not today. The temperature was 82 degrees. The water temperature was in the upper 70's. The sky was sunny and the winds were 10 mph dropping to 3 mph. I got together with Harry V (fishaddict?) and his son Jessie, along with Kitkatyaker and Coop1486. I met Harry and his son at 4 am at the Wawa on route 50. I actually got there at 3:45am to fill up with gas. From there we took off and headed across the Bay Bridge where we met Coop and Kitkatyaker at the Wawa in Cambridge at 5:00am. That was perfect timing to get our Wawa breakfast sandwich. We finally arrived at the boat Colbourne Creek boat ramp around 7:00 am after making a pit stop at the 24 hour Walmart in Cambridge.

My planwas to fish all day. I would troll for specks near grass beds on the other side of the river using big gold spinners, and gulp on an 1/8 ounce jighead. Then I would rest and bottom fish in the channel's edge, so I will bring my anchor. I would use a top and bottom rig and a fish finder rig. Finally, I would have some soft plastics and gulp to jig the shorelines 1/16 to 1/4 and 1/2 ounce jig heads.

The tides for Crisfield area are:

High 5:32am
    low 12:07pm
    High 6:08pm

Sunrise at 5:40am.

This is why I would fish all day, so I could fish the outgoing in the morning and the incoming in the early afternoon. I had plan to leave (depending on fishing) anytime between 5pm and 7pm. Well, at least this was my plan.

I never located any trout after 7 hours of off and on trolling. I met two kayakers that were not part of MKF. They lived in the area and told me that fishing was slow today. They trolled for 5 hours and only caught two trout between the two of them. Harry V caught a single keeper trout while jigging a white Gulp on a 1/8 ounce jighead along with several short stripers. His son caught croakers. Coop1486 also caught croakers. Kitkatyaker quietly caught a mess of croakers to fill her stringer. I ended up with 5 keeper croakers up to 13 inches, and 10 jumbo spots. I also was surprised to pull in a big heavy crab on a chicken gizzard on a fishfinder rig. That was a surpise. This was a good quality crab. He was hard and rusty, so into my cooler he went. I guess he wanted to have dinner with the Crab Whisperer.

We all caught more fish (spots, croakers, and short rockfish) thank we kept, but there were a lot of small fish out there too.We had paddled all the way to the mouth of the river and back. I was surprised to see so many croakers (the larger ones) biting my spinner bait while trolling. I landed many croakers this way along with the short rocks. I caught a ton of jumbo spots bottom fishing with bloodworms in the deep channel of 18 to 20 feet. I did not just let the bait sit for the spots. I bounced the bait, up and down which seemed to cause the spots to react more aggressively producing more catches.

We were all tired and headed back to the ramp by 6:00 p.m. After loading up, we headed over to a nearby crab shack just past Janes Island State Park outside of Crisfield for dinner. Harry V recommended it and the food was good, and the company was even better. We had a good time. Harry and his son was going to spend the night so they could fish part of sunday while the rest of us drove home.

It was a fun time, new waters that were explored, fish were caught, the company was great, but I am still in search of catching my fish speck off of the kayak in the Maryland/ Virginia area.

Thanks for the report moc, sounds like a great time on the water!
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X