Wilson Bridge 6/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Bridge 6/15

I ended up with a few hours to fish Saturday afternoon so I hit the Wilson Bridge around 4:30. Armed with a bag of raw chicken breast I made my way to the first piling. It took about a minute to have my first blue cat in the yak. It was steady catching for a while but all under 20" so I move to the next piling.

Steady catching again with a few bigger cats in the mix. I moved to the third piling and found the magic hole. 28 incher right off the bat then a few in the 23" to 26" range. I had one fish that felt like a cow nose ray, it wouldn't come off the bottom at first and then pulled me all around. As soon as I could see my leader the line went limp. No head shake no nothing just no fish on the hook. I would have liked to have seen what it was.

I did have a fish steal a fishing pole from me. I had a few bumps so I picked up the pole and then a few more bumps. Then all of a sudden BAM the fish hit hard and fast and caught me sleeping. Snatched the rod right out of my hand and all I could do was laugh knowing what I must have looked like. That WTF look on my face.

I did manage a 19" to 21" Rockfish on a crank bait but since I had a 26' blue cat flop on my Hawg Trough and snapped it in two like it was nothing I was unable get a good messurement. We can just callit 20"

100_1295.jpg 100_1299.jpg 100_1296.jpg 100_1300.jpg
    Jim

Hobie Outback
    TKAA member
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

the fish snapped the hawg trough??

nice afternoon with the cats, thanks for the report
    sigpic

Comment

Yeh, I lay it across the yak so it isn't supported in the middle. I thought I heard it crack a while back but didn't see anything. It has been around for a few years so it didn't owe me anything. Hope to have the newone by this weekend.
      Jim

Hobie Outback
      TKAA member

Comment

That big fish you lost might've just been a monster blue cat. The last time I fished that bridge I talked to another kayaker that was getting out of the water. He was saying there's some 40lbers in the area and the state record was caught not too far South from the bridge. I had a cat hit my rod hard last time I was out too, almost pulled it from my hands, but I always have them leashed down anyway. It's always a good trip fishing that bridge; I always catch some every time.
        2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Sounds like one of "those" days =)

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

That area of the Potomac as well as Blue cats are on my short list of things I need to try. Thanks for the report, at least now I have an idea of what I need to do to get out there and hook up....Chicken breast huh? I haven't used that for bait since the early 90's fishing Cape Henlopen...it always worked great there. I'll have to give it a try.
            Jeff
            Life's Short, Fish Hard
            Malibu X-Factor
            Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Nice, glad there's still some fish there. Sorry to hear about the rod snatcha and big one that got away...
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Day in the life of catfish Jim!
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Awesome as usual bro! Sorry about the rod. I wish I was there to see your face LOL!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks for the report. At least you got into the fish! I feel your pain brotha.
                    Hobie Outback
                    WS Tarpon
                    IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                      I ended up with a few hours to fish Saturday afternoon so I hit the Wilson Bridge around 4:30. Armed with a bag of raw chicken breast I made my way to the first piling. It took about a minute to have my first blue cat in the yak. It was steady catching for a while but all under 20" so I move to the next piling.

Steady catching again with a few bigger cats in the mix. I moved to the third piling and found the magic hole. 28 incher right off the bat then a few in the 23" to 26" range. I had one fish that felt like a cow nose ray, it wouldn't come off the bottom at first and then pulled me all around. As soon as I could see my leader the line went limp. No head shake no nothing just no fish on the hook. I would have liked to have seen what it was.

I did have a fish steal a fishing pole from me. I had a few bumps so I picked up the pole and then a few more bumps. Then all of a sudden BAM the fish hit hard and fast and caught me sleeping. Snatched the rod right out of my hand and all I could do was laugh knowing what I must have looked like. That WTF look on my face.

I did manage a 19" to 21" Rockfish on a crank bait but since I had a 26' blue cat flop on my Hawg Trough and snapped it in two like it was nothing I was unable get a good messurement. We can just callit 20"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7537[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7538[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7539[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]7540[/ATTACH]
                      Where do you launch from, National Harbor?
                      Jeff B
                      Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

Curious where is Wilson Bridge? id like to fish there in the future
                        I fish everyday that ends in "Y"

Comment

Originally posted by beerums View Post
                          Where do you launch from, National Harbor?
                          I launch from Jones Point Park in Alexandria, VA. It is under the bridge on the VA side and has a floating dock that isn't too hatefull to use. Plenty of free parking and nice clean restrooms if you need them.
                          Jim

Hobie Outback
                          TKAA member

Comment

Originally posted by NateFishyMan View Post
                            Curious where is Wilson Bridge? id like to fish there in the future
                            The Wilson Bridge runs between MD and VA. PG county and Fairfax county.

Jones Point Park is at the end of South Royal St. in Old Town Alexandria.
                            Jim

Hobie Outback
                            TKAA member

Comment

Working...
                            X