Kayak Crabbing Report: Annapolis area tributary. 6/18/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Crabbing Report: Annapolis area tributary. 6/18/13

This was my first kayak crabbing trip of the season. It was intended to be more of a shakedown run than anything. I used the 600' trotline, baited with chicken necks. I crabbed the incoming tide. (I thought it was supposed to be outgoig, but I alwasy seem to suck at deciphering tide tables. Is it just me?). I ran the line from 5' down to 14'. I always like to crab a gradient, as it allows me to work different depths easily to find where they are. Well...I must've laid right on them yesterday.

My first run produced 10 keepers. One of the best runs I've had on the kayak. Each run produced keeper crabs. All depths produced on different runs. At times, I had multiple crabs on consecutive snoods. I was running the line faster than I normally did...that made for some fast paced action. I crabbed with the the wind and tide at my back...I normally like to run the line the opposite way, but it worked out rather well regardless. The tailwind was quartering, so I pretty much had to use my rudder the entire time to maintain a good angle parallel to the line.

I caught a bushel in 1hr 45min. I crabbed from 5:05pm till 6:50pm. I did not expect that rate of catch. Crabs ranged in size from 5.25" to 6.5". Once I got back to the launch, I tossed back about 6 or so that were barely legal. Quality was pretty good overall. There were a few paper shells, but the vast majority were hard. About a dozen were REALLY dark rusty crabs.

I got them home and began steaming them. I didn't have time to ice them down, so I lost the claw retention...I didn't really care this time though. I need to buy a bigger steamer. I can only do half bushel at a time with my current pot.

It was a great start to my crabbign season. I gave away a bunch of the smaller ones after I culled them again at home. My wife & I now have a few dozen of nice sized crabs to enjoy.

After the first run:

<insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice...I have yet to try that, but keep telling myself I need to go out crabbing.
      Jeff
      Life's Short, Fish Hard
      Malibu X-Factor
      Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

Great job catching that many crabs.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

that's a lot of crab
          sigpic

Comment

If you can find one, an old beer keg works great. Cut it about 3/4 way towards the top, weld a handle on it, and make a makeshift rack (with holes torched through it) out of thin stainless steel. One qt of water, one qt of apple cider vinegar and lots of seasoning. Easily holds a bushel. Cook outside using a propane tank and burner.

Nice mess of crabs, especially from a yak. Good going.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

u have kayak crabbing pretty much on lock! nice job
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Good work Metro! Good to see the crabs are finally here in numbers
                Shane
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work MM. They might be finally picking up since the weather is getting warmer.
                  Dave
                  2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Wow, Metro, you have become quite the crabber. I still remember your early on trips and your humor about the learning process. Nice batch of crab. I am glad the crabbing has picked up. I may have to give it a go. Thanks for the report.

Comment

Way to go on the crabbing. How long do you leave them before checking up on them again?

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Goody, I run continuous loops. When I get to the end of the line, I head back to the beginning...often at full speed. When the crabs are there, there's no wait/soak time needed. They jump right on it. I let some females take the ride all the way up. I watched some get bumped off by the propstick, and they swim right back to the bait as its going back down. I caught two males that were chasing the bait to the surface.

Comment

Tony and Kayak Fishing

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post

Yesterday me and my wife was at the park off Route#2 when the Gentleman I think his name was Mr. Don if I'm correct he owned the Kayak returned from his crabbing run and that is when I knew my future interest would be to get involved in this sport would like to visit a meeting to witness just how to get into this sport of Kayak fishing and crabbing seems fun and rewarding with seafood in return can anyone guide me to this first meeting place etc. Thanks Rookie Tony

Comment

TONY!

It's me, Langston. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife yesterday. I'm glad you joined. This site has a great group of people, all of wh are willing and eager to share our sport.

Comment

Nice catch gotta get a motor for the yak so I can run a trot line again much more productive than traps
                              D Hawk
                              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
                              X