Fishing Saturday - Jan 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
    If any of you brave souls care to join me im going to see if i cant put in at fort armistead park this saturday. If i can find a suitable launch it should only be a mile paddle to where the discharge from brandon shores should be. I figure with it being new years day morning there will be a good plume of warm water coming from the plant. The air temp looks good and winds are minimal so it should be pretty nice out there. If i dont pick anything up there in the AM im driving up to the gunpowder and am going to soak a few nymphs at one of my spots that holds trout year round.
    Hey, how did it go? I've checked out Fort Armistead on my way home from work but I never went back with the kayak to fish it. The locals tell me that right around the corner are a bunch of pilons that hold very large perch and stripers that chase them. Across the bridge is a large field of the sunken pilons that also look like they could hold a lot of fish if you are brave enough to cast into that mess.

Where do you park to go trout fishing?

I wanted to go out today but last night was rougher than anticipated

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Is eastonkayaker and tuckedin the only ones that went fishing on the 1st. There must have been more. I am curious about the power plants. I am living vicariously on other's fishing.

Comment

I did get to brandon shores saturday. the launch at fort armistead is pretty nice. shady area but nice boat ramp. The water temp when i got in at like 845-9am was 34.2 degrees. Lots of thin ice within 100 yards of the shoreline. I found the warm water plume but it was very small no more then say 100 square yards. the good thing was the water temperature got up to 44 degrees throughout that spot. the problem was that it was really close to the powerplant itself and in 2 feet of water. at spots it got down to 4feet or so but the entire area was really shallow. high tide wasnt till like 430 and i didnt feel like flirting with rain so i worked the warm spot pointlessly for a few hours until the warm flow pretty much died and water temps got down to 39 and then on the way back in were hovering around 36-37. No bait = no gamefish. Im sure it will hold fish a bit later in the winter when tides are more condusive to fishing early in the morning. I'll be back.
        Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

additionally this would be a great spot for fly fishing the water level shouldnt get much higher then like 10 feet. sinktips and normal baitfish patterns required.
          Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I also went on the 1st but not in the kayak. I wanted to try out my new waders (thanks to "On the Fly" on this site for helping me decide what to get), which I also plan to wear early spring while out on the bay. I took them to the gunpowder and thought I may be able to spot some trout, but I never seem to have any luck during the colder months. I never even see any. In the summer months every time you step on a rock something swims away, but I guess I don't understand what trout do in winter. The river was covered in ice, especially the deep slow water where I wanted to fish, so I didn't have any luck. I really just wanted to get outside so it was still a successful trip.

Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Yak Fish where did you fish? the upper stretches up by the dam wont have ice in them and sightfishing this time of year is really hard. with the water level as low as it is you need to be SUPER stealthy and use really light long leaders. try a pink san juan worm with a zebra midge dropper, this combo is killer in the winter. Ill prob get out at some point this week and then again next weekend if you wanna meet up.

Comment

I did get to brandon shores saturday. the launch at fort armistead is pretty nice. shady area but nice boat ramp. The water temp when i got in at like 845-9am was 34.2 degrees. Lots of thin ice within 100 yards of the shoreline. I found the warm water plume but it was very small no more then say 100 square yards. the good thing was the water temperature got up to 44 degrees throughout that spot. the problem was that it was really close to the powerplant itself and in 2 feet of water. at spots it got down to 4feet or so but the entire area was really shallow. high tide wasnt till like 430 and i didnt feel like flirting with rain so i worked the warm spot pointlessly for a few hours until the warm flow pretty much died and water temps got down to 39 and then on the way back in were hovering around 36-37. No bait = no gamefish. Im sure it will hold fish a bit later in the winter when tides are more condusive to fishing early in the morning. I'll be back.
                Don't count on Brandon Shores ........ someone on TF posted that they shut the plant down for awhile because the price of Natural Gas made it unprofitable at this time

Comment

Yak Fish where did you fish? the upper stretches up by the dam wont have ice in them and sightfishing this time of year is really hard. with the water level as low as it is you need to be SUPER stealthy and use really light long leaders. try a pink san juan worm with a zebra midge dropper, this combo is killer in the winter. Ill prob get out at some point this week and then again next weekend if you wanna meet up.
                  I was fishing just off Rt 1 in the Perry Hall area. It's a put and take section but I've also caught some small mouth in there as well. I actually park in a neighborhood and walk back to the pumping station. I can get to my favorite spots from here. I wasn't really sure what if anything I could catch. I considered going up just below Pretty Boy, but I've never been there before and my buddy couldn't go so I didn't feel like driving all the way up there without knowing the area or conditions.

I'm also not a fly fisherman...not that I don't think I'd like it, but I've never been exposed to it. I pretty much stick to powerbait as it's never let me down. I also like trout magnets and spinners if I want to fish a little more actively.

What areas do you normally go?

Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                    I also went on the 1st but not in the kayak. I wanted to try out my new waders (thanks to "On the Fly" on this site for helping me decide what to get), which I also plan to wear early spring while out on the bay. I took them to the gunpowder and thought I may be able to spot some trout, but I never seem to have any luck during the colder months. I never even see any. In the summer months every time you step on a rock something swims away, but I guess I don't understand what trout do in winter. The river was covered in ice, especially the deep slow water where I wanted to fish, so I didn't have any luck. I really just wanted to get outside so it was still a successful trip.

Try using a bead head prince nymph 14-16 get down deep and you may be able to grab one. I like going just south of the dam

Comment

If your not a fly fisherman, you can work a fly under a spinning bubble or float. That works great. You may need to use a weighted fly. Also make sure the area is not fly fishing only.

Comment

Working...
                      X