WP and Stripers at the BB - 6/22/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WP and Stripers at the BB - 6/22/13

I was able to get out of work a bit early today to go fishing. Recent posts by others had me optimistic that I would catch something, and I did.

I started by jigging the pylons, but no luck there. When I reached the western rockpile. I pulled out the ultralight and 4" gulp mullet on a 1/8 jig head to get some white perch. I started catching a bunch on the south side of the rockpile. I caught around 20, maxing out at 12.5". I also caught 2 stripers at 18.25" and 12" on the gulp mullet. On my way back, I trolled a deep diving crankbait and got another striper around 16".

I spoke to a few people... most were catching croaker.
    Attached Files
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Nice Work

Comment

Wow! Nice perch, Mike- it is surprising how hard those little guys fight and especially on UL tackle- a keeper rock on UL is extra nice as well
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice job. I'm glad you found some fish that were closer than the spot I suggested. I am headed back there this morning.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice Catching
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice Job Mike, I'm surprised that striper did not bend the hook on that 1/8 ounce jighead
            2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
            2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Great job Mike. Let me know when you head that way next time and I'll try to catch up with you.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Nice Job!
                2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice Job Mike.

I got out to the BB as well. Was able to get on the water first thing in the morning, but had an issue with my new rod.. delayed me by 30 minutes so didnt start paddling until 5:30. The weather was amazing, water was nice. Lots of boats fishing the bridge out of SPSP. I was using my new tube from TPK with a blood worm hook on the end. Third time around caught on to something big... it ran out my line three times. From a distance I thought I saw a huge fin so go worried I hooked onto a big shark since I was getting pulled around pretty well. About 25 minutes later I managed to finally get this massive skate up to the boat. Finally got him off, but it was my first go at it on my kayak... wish I had more to say but not much else to report. Still learning my set up on the boat and how to get comfortable with where things are, what I need, etc. It was nice for the second time out to actually reel something in at least.

Looks like there was a lot of good fish caught yesterday. Most everyone on the BB were live lining. Might need to anchor up, live line and cast some cranks while hoping that set up rocks.
                  New to kayak fishing
                  Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

VERY nice perch! congrats on digging it out and finding your success.

Comment

Nice work mike

Comment

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                        Nice Job Mike, I'm surprised that striper did not bend the hook on that 1/8 ounce jighead
                        Me too... I think the stretch in the 4lb mono probably helped.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                          I think the stretch in the 4lb mono probably helped.
                          Wow that must have had your heart racing! Nice going bro!
                          -Mustafa
                          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                          X