Manokin River Specks 6/22/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manokin River Specks 6/22/13

Fished the Manokin from 10:00AM - 3:30PM today. High tide was at 1:30. I talked my wife into coming. I wanted her to catch her first speck. In the middle of my "this is how you do it speech" (5 minutes after launching), which she was clearly ignoring, her rod starts screaming. She grabs the leader with a 20+ inch speck on the other end and it pops off right at the boat. About 5 casts later, she hooks up again and this time I netted the 20.5 incher. Her first one. I was more excited than her, but she was pretty pumped too.

We continued to work points with current over grass beds until we reacher her limit. She bolted to shore and cracked open a beer. After lunch we headed back in. I hooked up to a really nice speck, but it also came unbottoned because I was too stubborn to net it. I hate nets. We also caught a boat load of small rock and two croakers up to 14 inches.

Gulp! on a small jig was the most productive. Chartreuse beat out white today, despite the clear skies and water. Ill be out tomorrow with more time to fish each location without having to move on.

Here are a couple more pictures. We bought a new camera for our honeymoon and I was messing around with it.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Very cool. Thanks for the report. Another place to add to my "must visit" list.

Nice pics too. Just like a Corona advertisement.

Comment

Cool pictures- nice fish- one of my favorite for the table- love grilled specks-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

That smile tells me she may be more "hooked" than the trout I think you finally have some competition now, and, in addition, a memory you both will have for a long, long time.

Comment

Nice! Looks like paradise
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            Nice! Looks like paradise
            No kidding. Makes me want to kick back in a beach chair on that sand with a cooler of those cervesa's!

Comment

Congrats on a great day fishing with your bride. Looks like you found a nice fishing hole and beautiful beach to boot!
              Hobie Revo 13' Tangerine
              CCA- NoVa
              Lifetime Fisherman

Comment

congrats on specs, wife and pics! very cool

Comment

Awesome. Nice outing for the both of you.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Thanks , all. Skunked today on specks. 2 croaker and a small rock. South wind was kicking up dirt and the flood tide from last nights super moon pulled grass back out. Made for less than ideal speckin conditions.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I saw you guys out there Saturday. I was in the yellow Ocean Kayak. Ended up with 6 specs over 20", a single blue, and a ton of small stripers too. Chartreuse was definitely the color. I tried white, root beer, and bubble gum but they wouldn't touch it. Put chartreuse back on and you'd get a bite. Missed a couple blowups working top water over the shallow grass beds. Guessing they were those small bass. Shooting for getting back out one night this week after work...

Sunday did suck. I tried Saxis. Open water was clean but too damn choppy too work properly. Creeks were dirty. Two small bass before I called it quits early.
                      P1020218.jpgP1020222.jpgP1020225.jpg
                      Brian

Comment

Nice going, man! I was wondering of it was a forum member I saw. I would have came over, but my wife was reeeaally ready to go after paddling out to where we saw you. Haha. I don't know what night you are planning, but I am free in the afternoon on Thursday and and all day Friday. I will head out one or both of those days for sure. Send me a PM if you are interested.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Excellent, and great pics too! BTW, where did you put in, and where are you (or did you) stay? Camping by any chance? Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                            Excellent, and great pics too! BTW, where did you put in, and where are you (or did you) stay? Camping by any chance? Thanks, Steve
                            PM sent

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Decent bite yesterday in this same area... A little bit of floating grass in spots but not too bad overall. Ended up landing 5 specs, with the largest topping out at 25", and probably two dozen bass, including a surprising 27".
                              P1020290.jpgP1020271.jpgP1020289.jpg
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X