Newbie Adventures in Trotlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Adventures in Trotlining

This is a bit of a late report, but a report nonetheless. I was on the Severn last weekend to finally try my hand at trotlining to catch some blue crabs. I had high hopes with the preparation that I done from research to readiness; I expected no less than a full bushel, especially since recent reports showed promise. Well, to sum up quickly, my basket wasn't overflowing with crabs. However, I did manage 11 from 5" to 6.5", which were all full jimmys.

I had quite the number of issues while attempting to both setup and run my trotline. I didn't stray too far from the launch, so the folks on the fishing pier must've had a fun time watching me while I worked through one problem after another. After chatting with a nice fellow who was also getting ready to go crabbing (on his Port-a-bote), I took off for a suitable spot to deploy my line, after deciding to stay close just in case I needed to get back to shore quickly, I began deploying my line and it didn't seem too much of an problem except I couldn't manage to run in a straight line, so there was a significant bow in the line that I set out. The depths of the water where I layed my line ranged from 14' to 9'. The depth was greater than I wanted to be in but I gave it a go anyway. I quickly found out that lacking reverse thrust in the mirage drive sucked when trying to run a trotline. I frequently passed the float and missed catching the control lines because I swung too far away or when I swung too close, the line would get caught on the drive or rudder. I also had 40' feet of line on each end of the float, which I suspect was far too long and didnt help. Anyway, after managing to get the the line on the propstick, I started to make my first run but found it was more work than I thought to get the chain over the surface; I got the heaviest available galvanized chain in a 3' section; this was quite tedious but I got it done. As soon as I managed that, I immediately started overrunning the line; the upcoming line kept passing under the propstick. That was the theme for the rest of the day, I wasn't going very fast at all, barely moving it seemed, but regardless, the trotline always swung under the propstick as I was peddling; nothing I did helped. Trying to move one of the 15lb anchors further out was a big chore too. I couldn't move it much b/c the chain actually held me in place. My next attempt to run the line was more of the same, overran the line, only this time, the line got caught on something. After much effort, I brought the line to the surface, to find hanging from it, an old rusting crab trap (I actually held onto it in my kayak until I later in the day to throw it in the garbage bin, but I was tempted to drop it on the closest point of shoreline; I was tight on space as it was). The next challenge after I recovered from that, was the other chain on which I got caught and spun in circles causing a tangle my main line. I peddled too hard while trying to untangle and break free so, the propstick broke off. That was kind of my fault since I hadn't glued it together yet. At this point, I had like 4 crabs, since some were coming up as I was working through these issues. Even though I was a bit discouraged, I kept at it and continued crabbing using the traditional method; I pulled the line hand over hand. Man that was tough; my wet and wrinkled hands took a beating from the pulling the kayak through the water. I did so twice and had enough. I ended with 11 then and began unbaiting my line. That was kinda nasty without gloves, but I got over it. The pile of mud laden line on my lap wasn't too pleasant either. I got to shore and was relieved to be done with it for the day. I did bring a dozen crab traps with me and considered using some of the bait I had reserved to continue crabbing with those, but I chose not to even bother cause I was too tired. Thats when Shady rolled up and beached his pimped out Outback next to me. We chatted for a bit; @Shady, it was nice meeting you man, I expect we'll run into each other again.

So that's how my inaugural kayak crabbing trip went. I hope to give it another go again soon.

BTW: A DNR officer did walk through the park as I was packing to leave, he saw my basket and walked over to check my catch, the one that was 5" was actually, 4.999". The officer let it go, but it's time to get a proper measuring stick, as it seems the stanley measuring tape is a big fail as a crab measuring device.

4.jpg

Tight lines, fellow members,

RY.
    Last edited by retroyellow; 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM.

I am glad you managed a few crabs to bring home. Trust me, it will get easier as you try it more and more. Though crabbing from you Hobie is different than doing it from my Torque, a lot of principles remain the same, regardless of vessel.

I started to run the line but found it was more work than I thought to get the chain over the surface;
    Go forward AS FAST AS YOU CAN to get the chain over the propstick easily. I often go full power on my Torque to get past the chain. Moc uses his Hobie, and we've talked about this before as well. You gotta get a full head of steam to get past the chain. Once you get beyond the chain, you can go at your normal line-running speed.

the upcoming line kept passing under the propstick.
    Your trotline was not deployed tight enough. When you're deploying the line, you need to have tension along the line. This is achieved by periodically GRABBING AND HOLDING the trotline has it is being deployed while you are going forward. You hold it until you feel it pulling tight (and slowing/stopping your kayak) then you let go and proceed forward with the deployment. You MUST do this to maintain achieve the proper tension as you deploy the line.

This is VERY important. There have been a few times where I didn't have enough tension. When this happens, I pick up the tail end of the line, and motor forward while holding it to pull the line tight. It sucks. Your line is coming up...going toward the rear. It is nearly impossible to crab this way.

This can also happen when your anchors aren't holding....allowing the line to slack. But with 15lbs in 14'-9', I can assure you this was not the case here.

COngrats on getting out there and sticking with it despite your issues. Thats the best way to learn. THere were PLENTY of days where things didnt go right for me. Once you devise what works for YOU, it will become a lot easier. I've talked with our fellow crabbers here, and we all agree that regardless of how similar our rigs look, we all do things differently.
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I've missed my mark a few times when going to begin running the line. I have reverse too. Even with reverse, it SUCKS when you miss LOL! Trust me, after a few trips, you will never overshoot.

By the way, Shady is just a pimp like that LOL!!!
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Way to give it a try. I use a Ocean Kayak Torque when trotlining but I know the issues that can come up when using a Hobie. I have run into those issues before when the line goes under the prop stick. That has happened when trying to move the line. I corrected that by running the trotline pretty fast without dipping and it should lay pretty straight. That heavy chain is an animal Im sure in a Hobie. Next time try assisting it over the propstick with your paddle. Moc runs a trotline on his Hobie so maybe he can enlighten you with his experiences as he has been doing it for a couple years. Good Luck with the next trip. You will get the kinks out and figure it all out

Comment

Aw man, you guys responded before I could edit to give props. A big *Thanks* to you guys: Moc, MetroMan and FourSteps for posting up your videos, reports and advice! While there are some great static resources out there (e.g., bluecrab.info), nothing beats interactive learning. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, but videos are worth a hundred thousand and advice from the experienced, well, I would argue that's priceless.

Comment

I have a Revo and understand your troubles... all to well. Metro stated all of the correct techniques regardless of the vessel. On problem that I know that you need to correct immediately is to get a lighter chain. The Mirage Drive does not generate enough propulsion to get the chain over the propstick with ease. Get a lighter chain around 2.5 feet long. I am not sure what gauge mine is, but it is not the heaviest one. All then chain needs to do is to bring the trotline to the river floor and keep it down there. The anchors keep every thing in line and tight. You want some slack in the line, otherwise, if the line is too tight, then your baits may not be on the bottom, thus reducing your catch. When you get the right size and weight chain for your vessel, then it will move over the propstick with more ease. You should build up some speed however, like Metroman said so the thrust of your boat will get the chains over the propstick.

If you ever want to take your Hobie out to trotline, then let me know and I will join you like I did with Metro on his first outing. That way since you have a Hobie, you can see the ease of running the trotline.

I also have rod holders on my milk crate to make it easier to grab my dip net from behind my seat. I also grab the line near the float when I am approaching it with a boat hook that actually extends. I use the boat hook to place the trotline onto the prop stick. I never have to get too close to the trotline, at least no closer than the outside of my prop stick. I keep both the boat hook and the net in the rod holders away from me.
            Last edited by moc; 06-28-2013, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X