Bay Bridge 6-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 6-29

It was as crowded as I've seen it this time. I think that I will save my going here for week days in the future. Had a rough day gear wise. My kayaks hull cracked, meaning that I either had to hand bail with a pump every 10 minutes or quit early. I hand bailed, which kind of ruined a spot as soon as I got on it. I think they can hear all kinds of things, including the muffled sound of me cussing over the whoosh of water leaving my kayak. I'm dropping off the kayak at Blue Mountain Outfitters in Pennsylvania tomorrow to do the plastic welding job. The motor crapped out on me too, waiting until I was as far out as I was going to go. I know, boo-hoo, poor you had to use your paddle. It wouldn't have bothered me except for the extra 20 gallons of water in there. Then one of my rods went down. Actually it isn't done yet, but after fighting a ray with a 5 foot spread for half an hour, I saw that two small splinters were hanging off the rod. Yep, the blank is starting to unravel. I ended up hooking into four fish, landing two, a dink and a 20.5 inch rockfish. My buddy hooked into his first ever early in the day, probably a low to mid 20's fish, but lost it at the kayak. He was happy to see the bay in all it's glory. We had many rays close to the surface, he saw a low 20's rock out of the water more than it was in chasing a baitfish, and the sky was incredible in the morning.

I get the feeling that many of the fish that had been tight to structure recently have started to suspend. If they are anything like largemouth or smallmouth on flat water, this makes things more difficult. Does anyone know how to get fish that are suspended at 13 to 20 feet over 34 or more to bite? I tried swimming my jig through them to no avail. Is there a float n fly version for stripers? See saw a rattle trap through them? What has worked if anything for you?

IMG_2039.jpgIMG_2041.jpg
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

metal. try a flutter spoon.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Flutter spoon with a teaser or fish a lighter jighead and count it down. There is a guy at Smith Mountain lake that makes a lure called the swamp munkey for SML stripers. It's a spinnerbait skirt on a 1/4-5/8 round jighead with a zoom fluke trailer. Specialized baits calls them the bug. Either way, they work great on suspended stripers fished with a hard snap and then let them flutter down. I think you could definitely make something similar. I like white w/ silver, chartreuse with silver, blue white silver, or sexy shad.

Sounds like a rough day out there, way to scratch a few out though! Where did your boat crack?
      Used to fish more.

Comment

Man, what a day. Sorry for your troubles, but happy you were able to land a keeper.
        2012 Hobie Revo 13'
        2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Working...
        X